1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 12:17 PM by carmenfisher

FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity

datastride

Product and version - FileMaker Pro 15.0.1.119

OS and version - Mac OS - El Capitan (10.11.6)

Hardware - MacBook Pro (Mid 2015)

Description

When connected to a single hosted database hosted on FMS 15.0.1.137, a momentary loss of connection causes FMP to display the "Reconnect" dialog, but clicking "Reconnect" almost always (+ 95% of the time) almost always fails.

If multiple hosted databases are open, FMP 15 reconnects to all except for the DB that had focus.

How to replicate

1. Open Remote

2. Temporarily disrupt the network connect (Turn off Wi-Fi or unplug Ethernet cable)

3. Reconnect

4. Observe

Workaround (if any)

1. Log back in (losing any development that was underway, such as an updated but unsaved script, unsaved schema changes, etc.)

• 1. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
          TSGal

morganjonesoph:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I uploaded a database file to FileMaker Server 15 running on Mac OS X 10.11.6, and I uploaded the same file to FileMaker Server 15 running on Windows Server 2012.

2. Using FIleMaker Pro 15 on my local machine, I opened the hosted file from both machines.

3. I entered a new record on both files, and unhooked the internet cable.

4. After a minute or so, I plugged in the cable, and I was able to reconnect to both hosted files.

5. I went into Script Workspace and created a new script with a couple of Set Variable steps.

6. I unhooked the internet cable, and after a minute, I plugged in the cable and I was able to reconnect to both files and finish with my changes.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
            jerrysalem

I have this same issue.

In our setup, I have users moving around a warehouse.

There are multiple access points, so the coverage in the warehouse is very good.

When a user moves from one access point to another it seems they are loosing connectivity.

(all other programs are fine, outlook, explorer etc).

When we first upgraded to FMS14/FMP14 is seemed to work.  But over the past couple months it never seems to reconnect.  Users are constantly having to force quit FMP and restart.

Suggestions?

Jerry

• 3. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
              TSGal

jerrysalem:

You said:

> (all other programs are fine, outlook, explorer etc).

Outlook and Explorer only poll for information when needed.  FileMaker Server is always checking to make sure the client is connected.

If FileMaker Server detects that a client is no longer connected, FileMaker Server will continue to try for two minutes to  re-establish the connection.  If after two minutes a connection cannot be established, FileMaker Server will disconnect the client.

Check the FileMaker Server Access.log file for client connections.  This may provide a clue.  Also, monitor the network to see if there are any breaks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                jerrysalem

the issue seems to be related to when users move from one access point to another.

The Access.logs don't have any useful info.

I was testing on my iPhone today, lost connection many times.  But the access logs only show 94 and 98's (open connection/close connection)

• 5. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                  TSGal

jerrysalem:

Does the Access.log file show when your iPhone connection closed?  Are there close connections for each open connections?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                    datastride

Dear TSGal,

Seems like this problem is one you can always chalk up to “environmental conditions” (network, etc.),, but there is a real problem. We experience this problem on different wireless networks since moving from FM 14 to 15.

Something changed in this area from 14 to 15, but I have no idea how to prove this. Nevertheless it is a real issue.

Happy to do a screen-sharing session with you to demonstrate ...

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

• 7. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                      TSGal

morganjonesoph:

I have sent this forum thread to our Development and Testing departments for review.  This will also help me understand what may have changed in connectivity between FileMaker Server 14 and FileMaker Server 15.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                        datastride

Thanks, much!

Morgan Jones

• 9. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                          datastride

Dear TSGal,

I think your understanding of exactly how FileMaker Pro 15 tries to reconnect is incomplete.

I regularly see FileMaker reconnect after being disconnected for much long than 2 minutes … sometimes more than a hour or two. Of course we also observe that FM Go on iPad apparently tries to reconnect no matter how long the disconnection.

Just wanted to pass along this observation of FM Pro 15, as it may be a further indication that things have changed in the new release.

Thanks again for your help.

Morgan Jones

• 10. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                            TSGal

morganjonesoph:

My apologies.  My explanation was only for how FileMaker Server handles disconnections.

It is true that FileMaker Pro/Go will try to reconnect after a much longer time.  If the connection is dropped by FileMaker Server, FileMaker Pro/Go will try to re-establish a new connection.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                              TSGal

morganjonesoph:

I have not received any information from either Development or Testing regarding the reconnection differences between FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15.  I have asked for an update.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                                datastride

Yes, and the detail I wanted to share was that FILEMAKER PRO will often reconnect after quite a long period of being disconnected (as when moving out of range of a wi-fi connection for a hour or more, and then moving back into range of the same or a different wi-fi connection). Lovely that this works, even if not always and not always for all open databases. 

Morgan Jones

• 13. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                                  TSGal

morganjonesoph:

I was just informed that FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15 should act identically in reconnecting to the host.  In essence, FileMaker Pro will try to automatically reconnect after 10 seconds, then again at 30 seconds, and then again after two minutes (and every two minutes thereafter).  The only change between FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15 is the temporary cache file, and this should have no effect on the network.

Development is perplexed why your issue only occurs with FileMaker Pro 15 and not FileMaker Pro 14.  Development would like to know if using FileMaker Pro 14 clients with FileMaker Server 15 also has the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FMP 15 (Mac) never reconnects after losing connectivity
                                    datastride

Thanks for the update.

I will test with FMP 14 connecting to FMS 15 and report my findings ...

Morgan Jones

1 2 Previous Next