AnsweredAssumed Answered

Field for Fiscal Year

Question asked by RPeters on Aug 30, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 by coherentkris

Hello Filemaker Friends!

This is my first year using Filemaker and it's been wonderful.  Such a time saver, and so powerful.  Now that I'm coming up to one year of using Filemaker, I've realized that I'll need a new field in many of my tables to separate data when we start our second business year with Filemaker.

I don't know how to do this, but I'd like the majority of my entries (deposits, invoices etc.) to automatically have our business year in a field so if I need to search for something, I can choose to look through just the current business year, or just the past business year.  Our year end is October 31st, so right now we're in our fiscal year of 2016 and it's from November 1, 2015 - October 31, 2016.  A lot of my fields already have dates, but it would be much more convenient to be able to just search for a "2016" instead of searching "2015/11/01...2016/10/31" every time.

Is there a way to make a... calculation(?) that would Auto-Enter the current fiscal year in a "Fiscal Year" field every time I created a new record??  I was about to start fumbling around with lengthy and confusing "if" statements and then I thought I would be much better off to ask for some help.

Also, I'm still a fairly basic user, so if you're able to provide fairly noobie-proof instructions, that would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

-Rachael

Outcomes