3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 2:55 PM by TSGal

Text on Button Bar Splits Unnecessarily

Malcolm

Mac OS X 10.11.16

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.119

We have a button bar that displays very differently in Browse Mode and Find Mode. In Find mode, several segments are hidden using "Hide Object when" calculations. That gives the remaining segments more room. However, the text behaves oddly.

BtnBarInBrowseMode.png

BtnBarInFindMode.png

Note, for eagle-eyed viewers, the font size in Find mode is larger than the font size in Browse mode. This is not a style issue. Another thread here suggested that the font size was the issue so I changed the font size to see if it was a cause. It was not. The buttons display the same behaviour.

Also, this layout theme is Classic, something that will change in due course.

• 1. Re: Text on Button Bar Splits Unnecessarily
          TSGal

Malcolm:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate both issues (button bar segment wrap and font size change).

Since the layout theme is Classic, what prior version of FileMaker Pro created the file?

What is the formula used for the "Hide Object when" calculation(s)?

Is the text in the button bar static or calculated?

I would like to see a clone of your file.  In the clone, remove all other layouts and any unnecessary fields/objects from the layout.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Text on Button Bar Splits Unnecessarily
            Malcolm

Hi TSGal,

The file was created in v11 ( or earlier ), we first saw it in .fp7 format.

Hide Object when calcs  are simply: Get ( WindowMode ), apply in Find Mode checked.

The text is static.

It may be a little while before I can supply a clone. I have immediate access to a copy of the file made before the buttons where converted to a button bar. In this copy, I added a button bar to the layout which is similar but the problem does not occur.

• 3. Re: Text on Button Bar Splits Unnecessarily
              TSGal

Malcolm:

If you added a similar Button Bar that does not have the issue, what is the difference between the two Button Bars?

On the layout, create a new Button Bar (do not duplicate), and apply each button sector one at a time until you notice what breaks.  This could help determine the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.