AnsweredAssumed Answered

Having 2 Employees show up in Multiple Forms

Question asked by pademo57 on Sep 5, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 by beverly

I couldn't find an answer to this in the forum so I thought I would ask here.

The company has a policy where an employee must be evaluated once a year by another employee and have a written evaluation form.

I have an Employee file which has the employee name and an employee number (EmpNo) which is given by the company and therefore cannot be a serial number assigned by Filemaker. The table also has a checkbox where you can assign either "Employee" or "Evaluator".

I used a calculated field to find the Employee and another calculated field to find the Evaluator. The idea being an Employee can be the Employee on one form and on the next form can be the Evaluator. I know it's weird but it has to do with government rules.

On the current form it shows the Employee Name and his Employee Number and another box shows the Evaluator Name and the evaluator's number.

In the relationship window I have the Employee TO::EmployeeNo related to the fk_EmpNo of Report1. I also have Employee::EvalNo related to EvalNo of Report1. This is working great.

However when I try to connect the same fields to Report2 it tells me I must create a new relationship. I copied Employee TO and called it Employee_Report2 and related the same fields as in Report1.

But when I try to create a new record in Report2 I get an error message which repeats 3 times saying the same thing "The operation could not be completed because the target is not part of the related table".

So here are my questions:

1) How do I relate one Employee and an Evaluator onto different forms (Report1, Report2, etc)?

2) How do I stop getting these error messages?

Outcomes