AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship Issues - Portals, Foreign Keys, Primary Keys, Field Auto-Generation

Question asked by LeiReg on Sep 6, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 by LeiReg

Hello,

I'm not new to FileMaker, however, this is my first attempt at designing a database from scratch. Prior to this I upgraded a company's FM and re-designed their database but didn't create a new one from scratch. I am trying to help out a friend with their FM but I am hitting a very basic roadblock that I simply can't seem to get around.

I'm attaching a zipped file of my database thus far. My Staff layout is fine and working well. My Client and Job Layouts are a mess. Truly, I know this. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I know it's something simple and maybe I have been staring at it so long I've simply lost the ability to see it.

On the Client Layout I'm trying to have 2 Portals from the same table. One of Staff to Avoid and One of Staff Favorites. I thought a solution would be to create a separate table but I am having the worst time getting my portal to display ANY information. I can select "Jones" or "Regan" but then it doesn't populate the rest of the portal row and it even adds a record in the main table. I feel I've made a terrible mess of things.

On my Job Layout I am running into the same issue but not involving a portal. I think it's my value lists. Is there a better way to get fields to auto-populate selected information from a related table? Are my relationships bad? Am I picking things from the wrong Relationship? I am so lost and I know I must look quite the fool but I could truly use some help.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for you help.

Attachments

Outcomes