1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 3:57 PM by paulg

Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?

paulg

When I generate a Database Design Report, in the Fields section the columns indicating the Layouts, Scripts and Value Lists in which the field appears are all blank, for every field in the entire database. I really need that information - it's supposed to be there, right? Bug?

I'm using FMP 15 Advanced (15.0.1.119) on a Macbook Pro Retina (OSX 10.10.5). No antivirus software. DDR generated with all options checked. I've tried opening it in both Safari and Chrome.

• 1. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
          beverly

HTML or XML version of the DDR?

beverly

• 2. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
            paulg

HTML. So I'm opening it in Safari and Chrome.

• 3. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
              beverly

there are several reported issues with DDR:

you may wish to move this topic there or repost there and point back to this thread.

beverly

• 4. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                paulg

Thanks Beverly - I think I've moved it successfully. Nice to know it's not just that I'm doing something wrong.

• 5. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                  beverly

You moved it very well, paulg! TS (TechSupport) sees these posts more quickly in this space. Hopefully they will be able to relate to other reported issues. I couldn't find specific reports, but the HTML DDR has "missing" items that can be found in the XML DDR.

I know it's harder to find the information in the XML DDR, but can you run one that shows only the fields and UNCHECK everything but say "layouts" just to verify that the information is there in the DDR? You can view the XML in most browsers, and search for what you think is missing in the HTML version. - this is just a suggestion and may not help you report the issue.

beverly

• 6. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                    paulg

I'm not sure if I've been able to do that. I can uncheck everything but Layouts (you mean in the section 'Include in Report', right?), but what do you mean by running one that "shows only the fields"?

When I highlight the Available File (there's only the one) then I get a checkbox set for 'Include Fields from Tables in Selected File:' I've tried unchecking all but one minor table that has only a few fields on a few layouts, and still get a very large xml file - it's 15Mb (as compared to 36Mb when I choose all fields/tables and include everything in the 'Include in Report' section).

Still, I can open it in Safari, but there's so much stuff there I'm not sure what I'm looking at. There are certainly references to fields and layouts that aren't relevant to the table I chose, so I can't be sure that there is reference to which layouts the relevant fields do appear on. Sorry!

• 7. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                      beverly

you ran the report correctly. the browser has a find feature and 'finding' by layout name or something you know is missing in the HTML version of the DDR. Yes, it's quite complex!

beverly

• 8. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                        paulg

Thanks Beverly. So, to confirm - even though the DDR has only one Table selected, and has only Layouts selected, the resultant xml DDR has references to every layout, and every field from every table (even tables that bear no relationship to the table I'd selected). So because absolutely everything is included, I can't tell if the specific data I want (on which layouts does that field appear?) is there or not (at least not in the unformatted view).

• 9. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                          TSGal

paulg:

Thank you for your posts.

How many tables do you have in your solution?

In the Relationships graph, do you have any additional table occurrences based on a main table?  If so, how many?

Did you rename the main table name?

If you create a new database file with one field and run a DDR (HTML), are you able to reproduce the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                            paulg

Hi TSGal,

27 Tables

Many table occurrences. I designed it back in FMP9, using the anchor/buoy(?) technique. There's at least one table that has 21 occurrences based on it, but several others might have close to that.

Some of those tables have been renamed over the years.

I've created a new database file as you suggested, including a script and a value list, and the entries for the fields show they layouts they appear on, and the scripts and value lists they appear in, all as they should.

The solution is overly large and inefficient - which is exactly the reason I need a full DDR. I'm trying to identify all the fields that are unused and therefore safe to delete, as part of a process of slimming down the solution.

• 11. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                              TSGal

paulg:

Thanks for testing the new file.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of an issue in the (HTML) DDR where the Layouts and Scripts columns are empty when the table is renamed to something other than the base table name.  To verify this is the same issue, in your DDR, go to the Relationships: Table Occurrences section and see if there is a difference between the Table Occurrence and Source Table names.

For example, suppose there are three tables, "Table1", "Table2" and "Table3", and each table has one field named "Field1", "Field2" and "Field3", respectively.  If you then go into the Relationships graph and change the table name "Table2" to "NotTable2" and run a HTML DDR, the "Field2" field will not appear in the Fields column for "NotTable2".  If you change the table name in the Tables tab, then the HTML DDR will work as expected.  Likewise, if you change "NotTable2" back to "Table2", then the HTML DDR will run as expected.

The XML DDR is not affected.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                                paulg

Hi TSGal - yes, I can confirm this happens with my test table. I've gone back and changed a couple of Table Occurrences to match the Table names, and some information on Layouts and Scripts is starting to appear in the Fields section of the DDR. I can't confirm that the current Table names are the same as they were when first created - in fact, I'm reasonably sure I changed them. Still, some information is appearing - I'll keep going, and see if I can find out more. Thank you for the advice.

[Edit, later] I've done more testing on my solution. Fields are shown to be present only on layouts that are based on the Table Occurrence with the same name as the Table. So:

- my main table is "Patients"

- fields will be listed as appearing on any layout which is based on the Table Occurrence "Patients" (which is in turn based on the Table "Patients"

- but fields will not be listed as appearing on any layout which is based on a different Table Occurrence, even though it is also based on the Table "Patients".

[Edit 2] I've also established that, even if all layouts are based on Table Occurrences that are labelled the same as their base Tables, fields do not show up in the DDR as being on layouts if they appear on a portal, (where that portal is based on a Table Occurrence other than the one that is the same name as its base Table).

So although I could probably go through and modify all my layouts to be based on same-named Table Occurrences, it still wouldn't be possible to show which layouts have an instance of a field in a portal.

I have to say I'm unhappy. The DDR is the main reason I got the Advanced version of FMP, since I really want to get this solution trimmed down.

• 13. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                                  TSGal

paulg:

Thanks for confirming.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available from either Development or Testing, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Database Design Report - incomplete information. Bug?
                                    james.saldana

I can confirm that I'm having this same issue with the DDR using FMPA 15.0.2.220

I reverted a TO back to the base table name and "Layouts and Scripts columns" are no longer empty.

Any progress on this issue? Is there a different thread to follow regarding this issue?

1 2 Previous Next