9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 4:26 AM by beverly

To display list view along with Form view to choose records.

akhlaq38

Is it possible to display a form say "Products" in form view and left side another layout of this "Products" in list view with scroll bar. When click on any record, it display it on form view beside.

I seen a sample database "corporate design pack" created in FMP by YZYSoft.com. It is a quite big file and difficult to understand for a beginner.

Is it easily adaptable or I should quit this idea and use my simple way as it is in FM starter databases.

• 1. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
          beverly

under the Resources menu on this forum, you'll find all kinds of goodies!

This may help you with what you need:

"How To: All-in-One Parent-Child Layout"

You cannot mix Form and List, but the "simulation" of Form View with a Portal "pick-list" is close!

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
            akhlaq38

Thanks Beverly!

But you are referring another situation. My simple requirement is maybe a big issue here. I have a button on my Product form which open the product table in list view blinking in a field to enter some name of product. After that I press Apply Find button and it shows a list of records with that names. I click one name and it  open again the Product form with that record. Its quite Ok but it is doing the same job taking four steps.

The sample database I suggested has only one page which can shows all five forms along with their list view. Just to click the shortcut, Contacts, Products, Invoices, Letters, About and it opens that form on same place. Working like tabs but no tabs. Each form with detailed list. Just click on any value in the list and same record will open the form beside.

That mean it is possible in FM. You can not say "You cannot mix Form and List".

• 3. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
              beverly

I have used multiple windows for "form" (with portals, likely) and open window for "pick list" (List View). It is NOT pretty, especially if you are using a button to go to the list (opens the window) and once selected, getting the value back into the proper field (in a portal or not).

if you don't like the "pick list" to be a portal that is always shown, there are sliding panels that allow these to be shown/hidden until needed. And there are pop-ups that can show a portal (temporary small overlay) for your pick list. these go away once selected.

In any scenario, the portal, of course can be filtered to show "found" records from which to pick. For my clients, for example, the list is filtered by a product manufacturer or the type of product or even a price range for a product (from different distributors). The flexibility of this is very useful.

Going to another window and finding the values is not the hard part. It's getting the value back into the field from which you started. Is that a fair assessment?

beverly

• 4. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                akhlaq38

Thank you again Baverly

I am doubtful that you still understand what I want. This only what MS Access have "split forms", showing a table together with form like view in upper portion and list of that same table in lower portion. And Brilliant Database have each form view by default like this, upper portion with list of records and lower one record as form view.

Here I searched a lot in FM community forum. Many members asked this question before but never answered correctly.

Big programmers of FM giving other type of solutions like nested layouts. some of them annoyed that why people asking this question again and again. They referencing  and presenting FM file to view. But all have different thing, different usage. I tried myself but not able to insert a portal of its own table. It only allow a portal of child table. If I create a second occurrence of that table in relations and make portal of that second table, it only shows the related record, one for one. You are suggesting a dropdown or popup list, that I think is for field level to fill that field. If you mentioning some other thing which is exactly serving my purpose (as split form) then please refer any book, FM file or video as I referenced in my original thread.

Thanks for your all replies. 

• 5. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                  akhlaq38

In your first answer you given a link for a document. That is completely different thing, also other programmers suggesting similar solution. A parent then child then grand child with selected record field. Selecting a record in one portal which shows its child in second portal etc.

• 6. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                    beverly

No split views. I have used the Header part to show form-like on list view with rows below.

Sent from miPhone

• 7. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                      BruceRobertson
                      You can not say "You cannot mix Form and List".

Sure you can. It's a fact.

You can mix PORTAL and form though.

The file you mention (Corporate Design Pack) uses a PORTAL on the left side.

Also called master-detail.

If you don't know how to set up a self-relation; then you should study a little more.

You might also look here:

Réaliser une Master Detail View - 1-more-thing

Edit: as Bev has made clear, you can put form fields in the header (or footer).

But side by side; nope, can't do that.

• 8. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                        akhlaq38

Thanks you Beverly!

Now you have suggested a simple solution and I found similar in an other thread where it was suggested to use footer for form like view.

Actually a database creator's job is to provide a user friendly environment. And when he see some thing new and interesting in other solutions he want to adapt it.

Hi Mr. Rebertson

The Corporate Design Pack file is a big one you know(38 mb) with a huge numbers of records and relationships. A long naming and 63 fields in one table. So a new person like me puzzles very soon.

Thank you for suggesting a link. I will check it soon.

• 9. Re: To display list view along with Form view to choose records.
                          beverly

I have also used Leading (or Trailing) Grand Summary (with List View) for those times when I want "form-style" view to show when scrolled to the top (or bottom), but doesn't take 'real estate' all the time. Thus showing more of the list if it is many records/rows.

beverly