AnsweredAssumed Answered

Script workspace keypress delayed / arriving in wrong order (Mac)

Question asked by mrwatson-gbs on Sep 7, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 by TSGal

Context

Mac Mini, El Capitan 10.11.4

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.119

Issue

I am having problems typing script step abbreviations in long scripts, because the first keystroke after pressing return is being delayed / skipped.

Do this

In Script Workspace in a FileMaker set to  english:

1. Create a long script - even empty lines - say 300 or 700 lines (the more lines the clearer the problem)
  2. Try to input an Else If command by pressing the following three keys quickly: <return> <e> <i>

Expected result

I expect to see "ei" in the input box and the suggestions menu with "else if"

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 12.49.33.png

Actual result

Often, but not always, I actually see "ie" in the input box and the suggestions menu is - correspondingly - empty.

Indeed, sometimes I see first "i" and the "e" arrives a fraction of a second later!

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 12.49.18.png

Note / My analysis

BUG: The first keystroke after the return is being skipped / delayed / is arriving late. (You can see this more clearly if you type "asdf" quickly => this arrives as "sdfa")

In short scripts it is not a problem, but it seems the longer the script the greater the delay / the bigger the problem.

Elimination of other problem sources:

• I thought for ages that it was a problem of the remote connection to the computer (I work a lot from my home office), but I am currently sitting directly in front of the Mac Mini, and it is STILL a problem
  • I have thrown out all plugins (inc. MBS with its syntax coloring) and STILL have the problem
  • I thus conclude => It seems really to be a bug in the Script Workspace

hanksT ;-)

MrWatson

Outcomes