1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 3:37 PM by beverly

Copying Tables

CarrieB.

Just curious if it is possible to copy an entire table within FileMaker? When I look at my list of tables in the Manage Database window, I see Copy and Paste buttons, but they are grayed out. I can't figure out how to make them available. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Copying Tables
          coherentkris

copy and paste should work if your in a full access permission set

• 2. Re: Copying Tables
            CarrieB.

I'm in full access permission set. Do I need the Advanced version of FileMaker Pro?

• 3. Re: Copying Tables
              beverly

you can find the FMPAdvanced features here:

follow the submenus, but specifically for your question, CarrieB:

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Copying Tables
                CarrieB.

Thank you. Now if I could just figure out who my sales rep is so I can get a copy of the advanced version...

• 5. Re: Copying Tables
                  philmodjunk

Please note that this copies the table definition. It does not copy the data.

On the other hand, in both FileMaker Pro and Advanced, you can use Import Records | FIle to import records and select "new table" as the target table. This will then create a new table and populate it with data.

If you need to get this done before you get advanced and don't want the data, set up a found set of a single record, import it into a "new table" and then delete the single imported record.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Copying Tables
                    CarrieB.

Thanks Phil. I'm not concerned with getting the data moved, but rather copying the fields as there are several hundred and they all have specific calculations and other options. I need Advanced to do that right?

• 7. Re: Copying Tables
                      philmodjunk

I do recommend advanced, but if you read my last post again, this particular task can be achieved without using FileMaker Advanced as you can import a single record and then delete it, leaving an empty table with the needed field definitions.

But with either method, any calculations that refer to fields in related tables will be enclosed in /* comment brackets */  until you open and edit them to have valid references in the context of the new file.

• 8. Re: Copying Tables
                        beverly

you can get "some" with the use of XML export (from the table) and import (XML) into the new table. This gives the field types: NUMBER, TEXT, DATE, TIME, TIMESTAMP at the same time in the import.

but not the calculations. If you get this far, it may help (data included). Then those container, summary and calculation fields (if not many) can be reset.

beverly

• 9. Re: Copying Tables
                          philmodjunk

Hi Beverly,

I'm scratching my head in puzzlement as to why we would want to go to the trouble of Exporting to XML, then importing when Import Records can do all of this and more without the need for an extra step. All calculation fields, for example, that reference other fields in the same record will import without need for any additional work. Only calculation fields that reference objects that do not exist in the new file at the time the table is created will need further attention from the developer.

• 10. Re: Copying Tables
                            beverly

forgive me for offering alternatives philmodjunk I shall endeavor to not do so in the future.

• 11. Re: Copying Tables
                              philmodjunk

Apologies for that last post. Alternatives are a good thing, ones that take more steps and don't do as much leave me wondering if I missed some advantage to that method so I asked the question that I did.

• 12. Re: Copying Tables
                                CarrieB.

Hi Phil. I guess I'm a little confused as to where the "file" comes from when choosing to Import Records from a file. I'm assuming I need to export something first? I haven't found a export format that gives me any of the field options or calculations when doing it that way. But I'm pretty sure I am missing the mark here and just not understanding your instructions. Could you explain a bit further? Thanks!!

• 13. Re: Copying Tables
                                  CarrieB.

I think I see now. If I import from another copy of the file I am working on it brings all the calculations and options along with it. Perfect! This solves my problem.

• 14. Re: Copying Tables
                                    philmodjunk

It does not need to even be a different file. Import Records can import from the same file that you have open as long as the source and target tables are not occurrences of one and the same data source table.

But copying a table as part of schema for the same file--generating duplicate tables, is very often an indication of a less than optimum data model where the developer is trying to use Schema structure to isolate groups of records instead of using other much more flexible options that keep the data all in one table. I can't tell if this is the case here, but your reference to a "duplicate of the same file" sets off these "alarm bells".

1 2 Previous Next