1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 1:32 PM by TSPigeon

Bug with DDR Report XML

scottworld

We have discovered a bug within the XML of the DDR Report that is exported from FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced (version 15.0.1.119).

On several of our files, the XML which is exported from the DDR Report will erroneously report that a "field object with a missing field ID" exists on a particular layout.

However, this is not true at all. There is no field object at all on that particular layout!

Even after deleting all the objects from the layout, even after adding a brand new layout part and deleting all the existing layout parts, even after recovering the file (with no problems found in the file), even after deleting all tables/relationships/fields from the entire file... the XML which is exported from the DDR Report STILL REPORTS that a "field object with a missing field ID" exists on a particular layout.

I would be happy to privately email you a copy of both the DDR XML report, along with a copy of the file as well... so hopefully you guys can fix this in a future update.

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
          TSPigeon

scottworld:

Thank you for your post!

Sending a Message to your inbox to receive the XML and File.

Does the issue occur if you delete the layout and recreate it?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
            scottworld

Thank you, TSPigeon -- I will respond to you privately to send you the XML and file. To answer your question, the issue does NOT occur if I delete the layout and recreate it from scratch by copying-and-pasting all the elements from the old layout into the new layout. So that's an easy fix.

• 3. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
              TSPigeon

scottworld:

There may be some minor damage to the Layout, which is causing your issue. I cannot recreate in a new Layout in the file or in a new file. The layout was also in a Classic Theme. The damage may have stemmed from the deprecated theme over the time it has been used in FileMaker Pro 15. If you do come across any further information to reproduce this, just post back here.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                scottworld

Great, thanks for looking into this for me and for your suggestions!

• 5. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                  nickorr

TSPigeon,

Scott sent me a copy of the file to look at as I wasn investigating that BaseElements showed a missing field on the layout and it couldn't be located.

I think this issue deserves a bit more investigation by FMI as a recover doesn't fix the issue.  Surely a field that doesn't exist anywhere should be picked up by the recover process.

Obviously you can't recreate the problem, but given that the file has got into this state, it's not a valid file state and at least recover should see that there's an issue.

Cheers,

Nick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                    scottworld

Thanks so much, Nick. This is a great point. If the file has gotten into this state, then a recover should either fix it or at least recognize that there is an issue to begin with.

• 7. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                      TSPigeon

All:

The Recover is not a perfect process. It can fail to report, and especially repair, damage. I will forward the file and details to Testing and Development for further feedback. I will respond back here once more information is available.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                        TSPigeon

scottworld:

So, this wasn't damage. The reason why a field is shown as missing is because it was added in table view. Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a file with two tables and a few field.

2. Go to the layout for table 1.

3. Change to Table view.

4. Click on the Modify button on the top right of the Status Bar.

5. Add a field from table 2

6. Open Manage Database and delete the field added in step 5.

7. Go back to the layout for Table 1 change to Browse mode.

You won't see the field missing.

8. Generate the DDR as HTML or XML (If you look at the HTML result, it will show that a table view field is missing.)

This is why deleting the layout and recreating it also resolved.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                          scottworld

Interesting -- I've actually never used Table view before, so I'm not sure how this problem could have happened in my database.

But nonetheless, using your steps above, I was able to recreate this problem in a brand new file, and I was able to get the same error message in the XML DDR report. And then, I was able to go back and fix the problem in my own solution.

Here is the very easy way to fix this problem, without being forced to recreate the layout from scratch:

To fix, simply go into Table View, click on the "Modify" button in the upper right of the layout (while in Table View), and then simply delete the missing field from the list of fields in the floating window that appears.

However, this brings up a very interesting problem/issue in FileMaker Pro, which I would never have realized because I don't work in Table View:

Fields added to a layout from Table View DO NOT SHOW UP IN FORM VIEW? What is that all about? Isn't that counterintuitive? Shouldn't fields always show up on a layout, regardless of what view you're looking at them in?

I really don't know, since I never work in Table view.

Thanks,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                            scottworld

p.s. Thanks, TSPigeon for figuring out the definitive answer to this problem!

• 11. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                              beverly

Fields added to a layout from Table View DO NOT SHOW UP IN FORM VIEW? What is that all about? Isn't that counterintuitive? Shouldn't fields always show up on a layout, regardless of what view you're looking at them in?

I was surprised when I discovered this, but I call it a "feature". I can have the same layout with dual-duty. The table view can have the fields that are saved to Excel, for example, without the other fields (in Form or List Views) being used. With the ability (permissions) to move and sort columns, this a quick report feature for some of my clients.

beverly

• 12. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                                jormond

You may not work in table view. But do your users? Do you have access to table view turned off? Do you have the file locked  down so users can't access the layout view or Manage Database?

• 13. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                                  scottworld

That's very interesting... thanks for the information!

• 14. Re: Bug with DDR Report XML
                                    scottworld

Thanks -- yes, all of my layouts have access to table view turned off, and this solution is tightly locked down from the users with BOTH custom menus AND account privileges that prevent users from going into layout mode or changing the view of any layout. This is an enterprise solution with 175 users, so we had to make sure to lock everything down tightly. So who knows how this weirdness happened on this layout.

However, there was a time a while back where one of the executives knew the [Full Access] account password, and he was known for playing with layouts... this was a huge problem that we didn't realize at the time. The other executives at the company asked me to immediately change the [Full Access] password, once we found out that this guy was making unauthorized changes to the system. So who knows -- it's extremely possible that he might have been playing around with this particular layout, which could potentially account for this strangeness in Table View.

In any case, I'm really glad that this problem is resolved now! And I'm also really glad that there is no corruption in the file!

1 2 Previous Next