1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 3:00 PM by philmodjunk

converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15

db0593

Currently we are on FM 11 and in 2 weeks we will be going to FM 15.   I have the documentation but am very unfamiliar with Filemaker, I have only installed the client in the past and have not really done anything else.   Now it is up to me to do this process.

First of all the idea is to go to a brand new server that will run Filemaker Server 15.   So if I am reading the instructions correctly these are the steps that I will do. 

1.) I will install filemaker server 15 onto the new server that will act as the host.

2.) from the old Filemaker 11 server I will stop all databases and then copy the databases and whatever other folders if any reside in the data\ path.

3.) Here is where I am a bit uncertain.    Am I to copy this data\  information to the new server following the same structure (which in my case the software is located on the C: partition but he data is on the E: partition of the FM 11 server.

4.) Now that I have the data on the server, I use another machine running FM Pro 15.   Create a folder for the newly converted databases either on the server or on this workstation.   Then I open FM Pro 15 and open the folder (on the new server) where the FM 11 databases are (in .ftp7 format) then select all the databases and choose the newly created folder for the destination and tell it to convert?   The FM11 databases will stay in their original format and the .ftp12 formatted databases will now reside in the folder that I assigned as the destination.  (Hope I am correct so far).

5.) Now do I "move" the .ftp7 databases somewhere else and then replace this E:\data\  with the new .ftp11 formatted databases? 

I am a bit confused on where the files need to be in order to format them initially.   Do I move a copy to the workstation that I am going to use to convert them?   Or do I install FM Pro 15 on the new server and do the conversion there?    Please advise.

• 1. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
          philmodjunk

I suggest that you take back up copies of your files and use FileMaker Advanced (Pro if you have to, but Advanced is a MUCH better option) to open and thus convert your files.

Test them a bit and look for any issues you might need to correct before you set them up on your server for your users to access.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
            db0593

So does that mean I can have Filemaker Pro Advanced installed on a

workstation and not associate it with the server initially?   As it sounds

like initially I should use on this client on a workstation ... convert

the data and then "move" the data to the new server after it is converted

and verified.

• 3. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
              beverly

Perhaps this will help?

* Uploading database files to FileMaker Server | FileMaker

yes, you convert with FMP or FMPA before getting them to the server.

IF you currently have folders for your databases, you can use them on the new server as well. For example I have a few clients that backup hourly, daily and weekly based on the folders. Some db files do not change often enough to need to have backup hourly. But FMS does not need folders for the file references (between files), only the file names.

* https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/editing-external-data-sources.html

I don't know if this is still the case, but the installation of FMP or FMPA on FMServer used to be a common practice, but there may have been issues with this or previous version. Now I recommend that the FMPA only be on a desktop. Check this forum for updates on this issue.

beverly

• 4. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                dtcgnet

The conversions should be quick and painless (for the most part). If you are using Instant Web Publishing (and therefore converting things to WebDirect), pay attention to those files. FM 11 did not make use of themes, and themese are very helpful in ensuring that WebDirect works well for you (it is pretty incredible).

Review this site, in case you haven't. It gives a nice step-by-step breakdown of converting files one at a time.

Converting older FileMaker Pro files to the .fmp12 file format | FileMaker

This link gives ideas on converting multiple files at once.

Converting multiple files at once

You'll do great. Make sure to back everything up right before you convert (good .fp7 backups) and right after you convert (good .fmp12 backups).

• 5. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                  db0593

OK.

So I install FMPA on a workstation.    I make a copy (or take the backup

copy) of my current .ftp7 databases that reside on my going to be OLD

server (running FM Server 11).   I take this copy (or backup) and put it

on the workstation where the FMPA 15 is installed.   Open FMPA 15 then

choose these files ... choose a destination also residing on only this

workstation... and then convert these to .ftp12 format.    (this is the

part that I am uncertain about...  whether all of this is can be completed

on a single workstation then once converted and verified then move them to

my NEW FM Server 15)

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

Tel: +1217-351-5002 (direct line 217-402-9483)

Mob: +1217-778-0593

Fax: +1217-351-5031

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

• 6. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                    db0593

we do not use instant Web Publishing.

This particular site only uses FM Server, FM Pro, and FM Pro Adv.    They

do not have any needs at this time to "get" the data from any mobile

devices, they only "grab" it on site while directly connected to the local

network.   There are no plans to change this currently

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

• 7. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                      dtcgnet

Your conversions will go very smoothly, I'm guessing. Copy all of the databases from the FM11 server onto a local machine. Convert them all right there on the machine. In the meantime (or ahead of time or whenever), get your FM Server 15 installed and running. If you copy the converted databases over to your FMS 15 server and put them in the correct location, they'll show up in the Server console window, and away you go.

• 8. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                        db0593

THANK YOU!

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

• 9. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                          db0593

so I made a copy of the data and was testing the conversion with a few of

the files on a stand alone workstation that is not connected to the

network.

I copied the .ftp7 files to this computer.   Opened FM PRO Adv 15 and did

the Open...pointed to this saved area on the workstation...then answered

the prompts that I want to rename the .ftp7 copy and actually place the

converted copy into a different folder (all on this stand alone machine). 

It goes through the conversion, says it was successful and then prompts me

to enter a user name and password to open the file.   I am assuming that

is all normal.   So I login...  and the file opens but I receive a pop up

saying "Filemaker cannot share a file because Filemaker network sharing is

turned off".    Is this because I am trying all of this on a stand alone

system?

I THOUGHT that I would be able to copy the .ftp7 databases to a stand

alone machine ...  open Filemaker Pro Advanced 15, convert... open the

files and check them out.   I am basically testing right now ... won't be

doing the live conversion for 2 weeks but wanted to get a feel for what to

expect (thus keeping everything stand alone and not connected to the

network).

Please advise.

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

• 10. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                            beverly

They were previously shared and then you get the dialog you did when opened stand alone. It will do no harm.

I get demo files that do the same to me on my desktop. They were probably hosted once upon a time.

Sent from miPhone

• 11. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                              db0593

Converted the FM 11 data to FM 15 successfully (conversion log shows no errors, duplicates, poor, etc... only some references to indexes being off by # in some cases).  However we have found that 2 scripts no longer work that simply open 2 of our FM databases.   All other scripts seem to be working fine.   We can "manually" open these two databases by going through the client and doing a file/open but just can't seem to get the open script to work on them (works on other FM databases fine).   Any ideas?

• 12. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                                dtcgnet

Post copies of the two scripts please.

• 13. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                                  db0593

This is what was sent to me from the Filemaker Administrator

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

• 14. Re: converting data from filemaker 11 to filemaker 15
                                    db0593

sorry trying this again...from our filemaker administrator...

Darla Bury

IT Support - USA

Vesuvius USA

1404 Newton Drive

Champaign

darla.bury@vesuvius.com

1 2 Previous Next