5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 4:00 AM by PeterDoern

Sorting changes after I re-set it?

qslsc

Hi,

Photo data base 1500 plus images. Content management style. In browse mode, view as list. I have to re sort the images after looking at them.

So I go into sort records.

Type is in the sort order box, I replace it with name and hit sort.

Everything ok till later then sorting changes back to having the numbers mixed up!

Cheers

Adam

• 1. Re: Sorting changes after I re-set it?
          Johan Hedman

FileMaker will keep your sort choice until you do any other kind of change. There are from FileMaker Menu possibility to Unsort and that will get your records in created record order.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sorting changes after I re-set it?
            qslsc

I don't make any changes, just look at an image. If I close the program it always goes back to sorting via Type. I just want it to always sort from the name (which is a number field).

One thing that might be affecting it is that the numbers run as 001, 002, 003 etc to 998, 999, 1000.

Should the numbers run: 0001, 0002, - 0999, 1000, 1001, - 1500. As in have three zeros in from of the number.

I can't have the client always having to un-sort it.

I just want it to always sort from the name.

Cheers

Adam

• 3. Re: Sorting changes after I re-set it?
              Johan Hedman

Then you have to sort the records the first thing you do when you open up your database. Use OnFirstWindowOpen and script step Sort

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sorting changes after I re-set it?
                qslsc

So, file maker does not sort files by their numeric value? But just defaults to sorting by type?

You are being very helpful but at least answer the question: Can the images be sorted by Name field? Yes or No.

Thanks

Adam

• 5. Re: Sorting changes after I re-set it?
                  PeterDoern

Type is in the sort order box, I replace it with name and hit sort.

Everything ok till later then sorting changes back to having the numbers mixed up!

Can the images be sorted by Name field? Yes or No.

Looks like you answered your own question in your original post. From the sounds of it, somewhere along the line a script or script trigger is firing that is re-sorting your records by "type".

2 of 2 people found this helpful