7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 3:21 PM by keywords

Dropdown list show 2nd field only??

ezeitgeist

This has got to be simple, but cannot figure it out. I am using a DropDown list as a selector to open another window.

The first field is the Record ID and the 2nd field is the Video name, in this case. I have it setup so it displays the Video name when selecting, but refers to the Record ID. How do I get it to show the Video name AFTER it is selected? Once selected, it shows the Record ID.

Picture attached.

• 1. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
          keywords

One method:  use a popup menu instead of a dropdown list. This will show the second value even though the field is populated with the first value.

Another method: place a second field from the related table set to show the second value directly over the top of the field with the dropdown list. Set the top field to view only (i.e. don't allow field entry—set using the Inspector). This will give the same final appearance—you will see the second list value in this field and the ID in the first field will be concealed behind it.

In practice each method has slight differences—with the first method the user never actually sees the ID, but with the second method they do. Try both and see what you like best.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
            ezeitgeist

I tried using a popup menu, but don't I still need to format it as a dropdown list to select the entry? When I do that, once selected, the 1st value shows up. I've never used popup menus so maybe there is a different configuration that I am unaware of.

• 3. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
              keywords

Re: "…but don't I still need to format it as a dropdown list to select the entry?"

No. A popup menu is a selection device just as a dropdown list is. You can select from the popup menu, just as you can from a dropdown list. Try it and see.

• 4. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
                ezeitgeist

Maybe I'm not formatting the popup menu correctly ... I still have to give it a value list. Once I give it the Value List posted in the initial post, the popup menu acts just like a dropdown list but a popup. Once a value is selected, the 1st value shows up on that popup menu button. So the same issue as a dropdown. Let me know if there is a different way to format it to hide the ID.

• 5. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
                  philmodjunk

Welcome to FileMaker 15--where they made a change for popup menus. WHY they changed popup menus to be like drop down lists instead of changing drop down lists to be like popup menus makes no sense at all to me, but if you look in the Data tab of the inspector, they added a new option "Override data formatting with value list". I believe that this option will return the popover to "pre-15" behavior.

• 6. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
                    ezeitgeist

Ah ha! That did it. Thanks! An odd upgrade change.

• 7. Re: Dropdown list show 2nd field only??
                      keywords

Well blow me down! I hadn't picked up that change of behaviour. I guess on the positive side you now have a choice. Thanks Phil.