6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 11:10 AM by philmodjunk

The table, layout - all become locked

HannuAiras

Hei there!

I have an explicit problem. I have a database in Filemaker Pro 13 Advanced with seven related tables. Suddenly one of the tables becomed locked so that all changes to the table as the layout was impossible. Sometimes the locking get out randomly and the program was operating normally. Now the locking is turned on permanently.

The problem is interesting in the sense that also the same previously developed tables are locked!

It seems that the editing rights to the application / table would be damaged. Or would the reason be in somewhere else. Can anyone advise!

thank you

Hannu Airas

• 1. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
          Johan Hedman

If you have other users doing changes on a related record you can not do changes at the same time. It is called Record lock.

Here is a good article about record locking

Lock FileMaker Records Open

• 2. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
            coherentkris

Along with what Johan suggested i would ask for more details because it could be simple misunderstanding about record locking or it could be something else.

You wrote: "Suddenly one of the tables becomed locked so that all changes to the table as the layout was impossible."

What changes are you trying to make that you can not? What are the symptoms you are experiencing that give you the idea things are locked and in what conditions (layout, mode, scripts fired, trying to access manage databases etc )

• 3. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
              SteveMartino

Do you have any scripts that are opening modal windows?

• 4. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
                philmodjunk

I haven't tested this in a recent version, but back in FMP 10, you could lock an entire table if a developer goes into Manage | Database and opens up the calculation editor to examine (doesn't have to actually make any changes) an auto-enter calculation. I haven't seen any info that would indicate that this is different for later versions. But when this happens users will get an error message telling you why they can't modify the records in that table.

• 5. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
                  hsweet

I would start by checking the permissions of the file in the finder (if a Mac) or the equivalent in a pc. Select the solution icon and press Command+I and ensure that your name &/or developer have read-write access. If the file is on a server, ensure that Filemaker has read-write. If you copy the solution off a server manually to a local computer, when it is returned to the server you need to manually reset FM with the Read-Write privilege.

• 6. Re: The table, layout - all become locked
                    philmodjunk

hsweet has a good point. Also check that Filemaker Access privileges are not what is "locking" the records or tables.

You can even edit lock yourself out of a record in Filemaker if you have two windows open to the same record if you open the record for editing in one window and then try to modify the data in the second. And some solutions open a window for hidden purposes "off the monitor edge". If such a window is left with a record opened for editing, but hidden, it might lock others out but not be immediately noticeable. Such windows will be listed in the Window menu so if this is a possibility, you can pull down the window menu and check for it.