7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 4:18 PM by laguna92651

Aligning Two Overlapped Charts

laguna92651

I would like to overlap a line chart and a scatter chart and match the x and y axis scales. What would be the best approach to do this. I have access to the max Y-axis with the calculation engine but no calculation engine access for the Y-axis min and  for the x-axis max and min.

• 1. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
          Johan Hedman

Then you have to use a plugin or Google Charts

• 2. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
            PeterDoern

I think I need more information as to how you're generating your charts, e.g. is your data source through found set, related records, or current record?

I tend to use the current record method and feed in delimited values from a virtual list. I imagine that if you're using a common X and Y axis for both charts then you could lay one above the other, set the topmost chart fill to none and turn off the axes labels and it should match up. This is off the top of my head, naturally, and I don't have your data sets so you'll have to experiment with this.

Peter

• 3. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
              laguna92651

Aligning the axis's is the issue.

• The scatter chart grabs data from 4 different tables using List().
              • With the line chart I am generating the data for the lines based on the max values in the scatter chart data. The line chart is using related records. All points on one of the lines represent the same value, the product of the x and y   values, the bottom line is 25.5%, middle 37.5%, top 55.5%.
              • I've offset the two charts sightly so you can see the various axis values, the smaller size axis values are for the line chart.
              • The 14% max for the y-axis for the line chart had to be manually entered to bring the axis within range.
              • The x-axis only has auto (scatter chart value is 7.0 line chart is 6.6) but I can probably adjust the line chart data. Do you know how FM calculates the max y and x axis values so I can use the calculation engine?

ROA Chart1.png

A secondary issue on the scatter chart, if I change the y-axis formatting to number>percent, the axis will read .02%, .04%, .06% etc., instead of 2%, 4%, 6% etc. Am I not setting something correctly.

• 4. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
                laguna92651

Is there a function that will retrieve the max y and x axis values?

• 5. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
                  PeterDoern

I think you'll want to gather and preprocess your data first, i.e. using variables and then calculating your common axes values based on that.

Are you able to share your data sets or post a sample file?

• 6. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
                    laguna92651

It is a fairly large file, I'll try to pull that section out. Thanks

• 7. Re: Aligning Two Overlapped Charts
                      laguna92651

Do you know how FM calculates its max axis values?

Any ideas on the percent format issue?