AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I autosize a text object in Layout mode?

Question asked by carlsson on Sep 10, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 10, 2016 by carlsson

A couple of versions ago, Filemaker removed a feature that I used all the time when I'm in Layout mode. The removal of this is driving me absolutely bonkers, and I'd really like to get a solution.  It goes like this:

Previous versions: 

You are creating a text object to contain "Abcdefghijkl". The object is 10x100 pixels.

Now you change it to "Abc". The Text object is still 10x100.

Now you alter the text style, to Bold for example, and the object size changes to the smallest available size for "Abc", 10x30!

It was an extremely useful and quick way to autosize the text object to as small as possible! Two shortcuts (COM+B and COM+B and Voila! it's done!

Current version:

After changing the content of a text object, you have no way to auto-size the text object to the smallest possible size.

I have to pick up the mouse, resize the object manually, and with all the guides and stuff it's both annoying and time consuming!

It's absolutely infuriating, and it's making every design project take at least 50% longer.

Is there any way to autosize a text object so it fits the text and is as small as possible (ie, with shortcuts, no mouse involved please)?

TIA,

Andreas

Outcomes