12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 8:55 AM by TimAnderson

Single Sign On stopped working

TimAnderson

FMS13.0v9, Windows 10 build 1607 (Anniversary Update), FMP13.0v9 Windows 10 build 1511.

This is an occasional use system for a very few users, hence not using Windows Server.

A few weeks ago everything was fine, on Friday when user tried too connect she was surprised to be asked to login - previous SSO had been working transparently.

Does anyone have an idea of what would cause SSO to stop working? If the user enters her account name/password as per SSO then she can sign in as before.

We have restarted both 'server' and client to no effect

Thanks

Tim

• 1. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
          philmodjunk

Does this mean that you have externally authenticated accounts set up in FileMaker?

Exactly how did that user connect to the database and from where/what?

Might they have been signed into an account on their computer that does not have a corresponding account in FileMaker?

• 2. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
            DLarsen

When I see that happen it is usually because the user's Windows account either just got locked or their Windows password just expired.

• 3. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
              wimdecorte

Where are the accounts that are being authenticated against, locally on the FMS machie?  Can't be AD because you'd need windows server for that.

Could it be that it never was SSO but that the credentials were saved in the Windows Credential Manager (sort of like OSX's keychain)?

• 4. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                TimAnderson

Yes, externally authenticated

Open Remote, from FMP13.0v9 Windows 10 build 1511

Nope, restarted and reloaded in on different days

• 5. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                  TimAnderson

If only, as mentioned in my original post, if they use their login details they get access to the database

• 6. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                    TimAnderson

Wim,

they are being authenticated with AD, on another server - at least we thought so!

If you are saying that FMS13 running on a Windows 10 OS cannot authenticate using AD on a different server then your suggestion that the credentials were saved is possible, but from what I know of the site unlikely (few users and I have never known them move desks/PCs) and this has been stable for a couple of years.

Their IT person is going in at the end of next week, I will ask him to see if this is a possibility.

Thanks everyone for their input, when/if we find they reason I'll post back here

• 7. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                      wimdecorte

TimAnderson wrote:

Wim,

they are being authenticated with AD, on another server - at least we thought so!

If you are saying that FMS13 running on a Windows 10 OS cannot authenticate using AD on a different server then your suggestion that the credentials were saved is possible, but from what I know of the site unlikely (few users and I have never known them move desks/PCs) and this has been stable for a couple of years.

Got it.  The scenario should be working and it sounds like it was working.   If the users use AD accounts the EA is working fine.  You can check their credential manager to see if SSO was being faked.  Clear out the entries there.

SSO can fail because of timeouts, while allowing EA itself to still work.  Check the Windows security log on the FMS box to see if yields any clues.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                        BowdenData

Wim,

I recall in the past that EA (and therefore SSO) can fail if there are differences between the time settings on the PC's vs. the time setting on the AD box (and perhaps the time setting on the FM Server box)?

It was recommended that all the devices (PC's, FM Servers, AD Server, etc.) be synced to a common time source?

Doug

• 9. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                          wimdecorte

That is correct, for authentication to work properly the machines involved need to be sync'd time-wise.

• 10. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                            TimAnderson

Ok, quick update for those watching. All suggestions and comments here passed to their IT support, unfortunately none seem to have solved the problem. Will have to wait until I can visit at same time as their IT.

• 11. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                              RobPinhood

Hey Tim, I am having almost exactly the same problem.

My thread is Additional Login Required after Windows 10 Update .  The problem started on 9/27 and seems to be related to the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update.

I am an in-house network admin, and have involved an outside network engineer.  We have been unable to solve the problem to date.  We have triple checked AD settings and functions, and everything seems to be working correctly.    What changed in the Windows 10 Security scheme, and how do we fix it or adjust for it?

Thx,

RoB

• 12. Re: Single Sign On stopped working
                                TimAnderson

Hi Rob,

Have looked at your thread - looks very familiar!

I know pretty much nothing about Windows 10 and certainly have no idea what might have changed. I know the AD link from the Fmserver is working because the user can login with their AD credentials.

I really have no idea what to suggest, except that it is quite possible that the next Windows update might fix it!

Sorry

Tim