1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 8:14 AM by jormond

Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering

thong127

Im browsing the past devcons under resources tab when I clicked past devcons 2014 & 2015, Im getting a message "Unauthorized"

Im just wondering why the materials are not available to everyone  like the materials in 2016.

• 2. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
          TSGal

thong127:

Thank you for your post.

This is the first year FileMaker, Inc. has made the DevCon sessions available to everyone.  Currently, previous years sessions are unavailable.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
            ndveitch

Hi TSGal,

I know this post is old, but I was wondering if FileMaker is thinking of making past DevCon sessions available to the community. Im sure there is a wealth of information in those sessions that could be of great help to FileMaker developers looking for ideas/tips/tricks/methods/information and so on. Im sure I am not the only one here who could really benefit from the information from previous years DevCon's.

Here's hoping

• 4. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
              bigtom

I hope they do not And it is not exciting to make all the sessions that people pay good money to experience available to the public. I do support a discounted fee for devcon video only. Free runs me the wrong way.

• 5. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                ndveitch

But surely the information in the DevCon's from 2015 or 2014 and prior could be released. I do understand that people paid good money to go to Devcon, and if I could afford it I would love to go to DevCon, but I am in South Africa and with the exchange rates as they are, going to DevCon is unfortunately out of my reach.

Then again, if they maybe made it available on the FBA site, that could possibly be an option. I have just been searching the FileMaker community videos page, and I see that there are already some past DevCon's on the site, so at least there is some which is going to be a great help.

• 6. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                  bigtom

Available to FBA sounds like a decent idea.

• 7. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                    beverly

And then you are losing the people who need to learn how to do all the wondrous things discovered at DevCon. I see no "problem" with those attending getting to view these (because cloning has not advanced to the point of allowing one to attend every session).

But with subsequent years' videos being 'public', they only enhance the visibility of FileMaker to others. They enhance the visibility of the speakers to the world. People needing help can find developers on the FM site, but those videos can tell them, "Hey! I should call ... and see about getting consulting help from them." (or whatever they can do!)

Just another side of the coin (and I've been on both sides!)

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                      monkeybreadsoftware

The benefit of the conference is to have time with FMI staff and other people from community.

Quite a few people don't attend much sessions as the talks in the lobby are better benefit for them.

So you can watch the videos at home.

PS: FMI should provide as many videos as possible to people to spread the word for FileMaker.

• 9. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                        bigtom

Meeting people and having discussions is a great advantage of Devcon. It is also a great atmosphere to discuss things with people who would usually otherwise be pretty busy working. I would be happy if there were more FMI staff interaction time, but it seems that the booth for asking FMI staff questions is often underused. However during times when attendees decide they have a free moment to make it to the FMI staff area it seems everyone decided that was the best time.

Reducing the days also reduces the opportunity for these interactions at the question desks.

If everyone is not going to sessions and spends the week networking that will also have a certain impact on the experience. Why not have presenters prerecord the sessions and simply have a Q&A session for anyone who watched it? How far does this path go? Virtual Q&A web meetings?

FM Devcon is session centric. I will still be at Devcon this year and the next year and so on, but I wonder how much attendance will dwindle if you no longer need to register to get access to the session materials without some other value to developers. If I want to network in a lobby, restaurant, bar or other area do I need to register for Devcon or just show up and avoid areas for registered attendees.

I am not against letting the sessions out to the public for free. I think it is a great idea, but Devcon needs to retain some inherent value other than the sessions.

• 10. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                          jormond

For me, this year will be my first DevCon. The videos I see have only made me more excited about going over the years.

I've chatted with several developers that are because of what they saw in the videos from last year. The value is still there.

• 11. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                            PeterDoern

Likewise, I attended last year for the first time because of the calibre of the few videos that FMI shared from prior DevCons.

My DevCon experience was so much more than just sessions, even though they form the core of the convention. I learned as much -- and grew more professionally -- from one-on-one interaction with other attendees as I did from the sessions themselves.

Having said that, unfortunately I can't attend again this year so I hope that FMI will release the session materials like they did last year.

Although I like the idea of not paying for the materials, I think it would be reasonable for FMI to offer them as a product in the FileMaker store.

• 12. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                              techt

Just to add my two cents to the conversation.

DevCon sessions should be posted and always available to attendees. If FMI wants to limit the time hosted, then allow for download and later review (which would be great when traveling). Those unable to attend should be allowed to purchase a "pass" to watch the presentations. I think expanding our community is great, but free would potentially reduce DevCon attendees and it inherently devalues the material, which should never be the case.

Over time, some sessions do become dated as new features replace older techniques. Not that those techniques aren't possible (though some are not), the community should cultivate and present best (or preferred) practices so that new developers learn better processes.

• 13. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                                jormond

For most other development platforms, the expectation is that the videos are available to everyone.

The additional exposure doesn't seem to harm  the attendance at all. It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers this year. Both for the potential of the video availability and travel difficulties.

• 14. Re: Past Devcon Sessions 2014 & 2015 not available to everyone..just wondering
                                  Johan Hedman

From what I have heard there is very few attendees at this DevCon in Phoenix this year.

I have been to 10+ DevCon and each one is different from the other for content, but the main thing is the people that attend. I do see a difference in people who want to attend if all material where to be free. For people traveling from Europe it is a very expensive flight to make and that is not included in the hotel and DevCon cost. I think if all material would be free then we would see less and less of people from people outside US attending DevCon. Especially since there now is a very good regional DevCon´s in Europe in the Fall.

I see your point of making it open for everyone, but if FMI want to keep DevCon there pride of the year with many attendees then I do not see free session material as a thing of getting it more crowded

1 2 Previous Next