1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 6:48 AM by Lasersol

Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra

doctorvandermast

Has anyone had success in codesiging a FileMaker Runtime app for Sierra? I want to do this so that my solution will download and open in Sierra and not be blocked by the new way Gateway works..

I'm creating the runtime in FM14 Adv. I'm trying to codesign in Terminal. I keep getting this result:

"bundle format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable In subcomponent:..."

Any suggestions? If other's have had success, at least I'll know if my problem is due to something unique about my solution or something wrong with my developer certificates.

And can anyone recommend a FileMaker consultant who could help me. I really need to get this solved before September 20th. I understand that's the release date for Sierra.

• 2. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
          doctorvandermast

I have read and tried all the suggestions on that discussion. It's not clear to me if anyone has successfully code signed their 13, 14, or 15 runtime apps so they will work with Sierra. Have you succeded?

• 3. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
            Benjamin Fehr

No, I did not succeed yet.

I tried different methods. I even run tests with 'App Wrapper*'  with my Mindvision InstallBuilder (MedicalBizzInstaller.app) and get a error:

Critical Error: Failed to sign MedicalBizzInstaller.app resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed

Critical Error: Code sign failed: : code object is not signed at all In architecture: i386

• 4. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
              acohensitt

I am also having the same problem.

Apple has made it so increasingly difficult to install a non-Mac store app over the years we actually created a video on "How to Install on a Mac" for our FileMaker runtime solutions. Pretty sad.

Why Apple continues to want to control everything is completely against what they stood for since their inception.

I have found some threads that a zip file will work (not a DMG), but I have not yet tested it, and one user said it still did not work.

Still looking for a solution.

Aaton Cohen-Sitt

• 5. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                doctorvandermast

Take a look a this thread where this issue is discussed at length:

Filemaker 13, 14 and 15 runtimes not working on Sierra Beta 2

Here's what I have found is the minimum solution for distributing a runtime that will open in Sierra. It doesn't require you to codesign the Filemaker runtime app, just the dmg image that the user can download.  DMG Canvas makes it easy to create a nice dmg installer and also codesign it.

You need to purchase DMG Canvas. It's only $15

And, of course,  you need to register as an Apple Developer and obtain the proper certificates for codesigning.

-----------------------------

I make a normal runtime folder with the runtime app and my solution inside it. I don't codesign anything inside this folder.

I use DMG Canvas to make a dmg installer and codesign it. For this to work, you have to have an Apple Developer Certificate installed in your Keychain Access application on your Mac. And you have to be running El Capitan, at least, for DMG Canvas to be able to codesign.

The dmg installer just has simple instructions to drag the runtime folder where I want the user to put it on their Mac.

This seems enough to allow a Control-Click-Open (or Right-Click-Open) the first time the runtime is launched to bypass the Gateway Path Randomization (Primary file is missing) issue in Sierra.

If you go this way, here's the kind of instructions you might provide your customers:

-------------

Opening an application downloaded from the Internet

The first time you open, don’t double-click

The first time you open an application downloaded from the Internet, you may not be able to just double-click it. What happens will depend on the version of OS X you are using and the settings in the Security & Privacy section of your System Preferences.

Use Control-Click-Open instead

Hold down the Control key when selecting the app. A menu will pop up with Open at the top. Choose Open.

You will get a dialog box with an Open button that will let you launch the app.

Note you only have to do this once, the first time you launch the app. It will open with a regular double-click from then on.

----------------------

Filemaker 13, 14 and 15 runtimes not working on Sierra Beta 2

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                  acohensitt

Thanks for the DMG Canvas solution. I am looking into that.

I might have found a workaround and would like to know if anyone else could replicate the results.

If you click on the primary program file instead of the runtime app, the solution seems to open properly. I could only test this once, since Sierra then "remembers" the connection and you can then launch by clicking on the runtime file.

• 7. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                    rouelf

Not adding anything helpful here. Getting ready to distribute / sell my first solution, a runtime. Likely will be with a link download from an online store. I now see that there is lots of stuff here on code signing. FM gives detail instruction for creating and distributing runtimes, but it never mentions a requirement for code signing of runtimes for OS X, at least obvious to me.

Find that very disturbing, innocent me, create your runtime upload to a store, start selling. It seems that I have to get an Apple Developer Certificate, an follow some process to code sign the dmg, and possibly the runtime.

OK, … I have vented, and will do what has to be done !!!

• 8. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                      rouelf

Doctorvandermast,

Thank you for this most helpful post.

Have followed the instructions to use DMG Canvas directly on the folder containing the Runtime to create a code-signed dmg (runtime not code-signed).

Uploaded dmg file to my Dropbox, copied the Dropbox link of the dmg file and emailed to myself. Downloaded from the link in the email, moved the download dmg file to the desktop, double click to open dmg, then dragged the folder with runtime to the desktop.

Then the first time after downloading, just Double-Clicked the runtime, it opened properly. The point, is that it didn’t appear necessary to Control-Click-Open the first time the runtime is launched.

Was wondering if it is consistent that Control-Click-Open is not necessary, and if others have or will tested this approach. Avoiding the Control-Click-Open step is easier on users.

• 9. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                        doctorvandermast

Then the first time after downloading, just Double-Clicked the runtime, it opened properly. The point, is that it didn’t appear necessary to Control-Click-Open the first time the runtime is launched.

Was wondering if it is consistent that Control-Click-Open is not necessary, and if others have or will tested this approach. Avoiding the Control-Click-Open step is easier on users.

How the runtime opens depends on the OS version and the security setting of the user. The Control-Click-Open instruction seems to work universally and it only has to be done once. That's why I like it.
                        Codesigning the runtime too would be the best solution. I just haven't yet been able to succeed in doing that. I'm going to keep working on that.
                        In the meantime, I needed something that customers running Sierra could open.
                        2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                          rouelf

Yes, testing by downloading to a Mac running Sierra.

Then it would appear that Control-Click-Open performs a specific OS X universal instruction(s), resulting in a better sure way to first open a runtime after downloading to OS X.

Thanks again !!

• 11. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                            doctorvandermast

Then it would appear that Control-Click-Open performs a specific OS X universal instruction(s), resulting in a better sure way to first open a runtime after downloading to OS X.

It means that you will at least always get a warning dialog box with an option to open the runtime.

• 12. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                              doctorvandermast

I shipped my runtime app recently. So far so good.

Here's what I did:

I only codesigned the disk image, using DMG Canvas. Nothing else was codesigned.

The disk image was simple, with the runtime folder and simple instructions to drag it to the computer.

On my website, on the page where people download the product from, I put instructions for what to do the first time one opens the runtime.

Hold down the Control key when selecting the app.

A menu will pop up with Open at the top.

Choose Open.

You will get a dialog box with an Open button that will let you launch the app.

It seems to be working OK.  No help calls so far in the first 100 downloads.

I also upgraded an Apple laptop to Sierra and tested a download to it to make sure I had avoided the Gateway Path Randomization (Primary file is missing) issue. This simulated the customer downloading experience.

As I say, so far so good.

I think it is preferable to code sign the runtime app. But it's a much more complicated task and I wasn't able to do it. As an alternative, this solution is very simple and it seems to work.

I'm adding this suggestion from codecruncher for how to code sign the runtime.

The best summary of how to code sign the complete package was provided Francois Sylvain a couple of weeks ago. You might want to include the link in your 'correct answer' to make it easier for everyone to 'go all the way'. The summary is right under the question: FileMaker Runtime - Sierra Mac OS 10.12

• 13. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                                codecruncher

The best summary of how to code sign the complete package was provided Francois Sylvain a couple of weeks ago. You might want to include the link in your 'correct answer' to make it easier for everyone to 'go all the way'. The summary is right under the question: FileMaker Runtime - Sierra Mac OS 10.12

• 14. Re: Codesigning FileMaker Runtime for Sierra
                                  doctorvandermast

Thanks. I'll do that. My problem was I couldn't get the MonkeyBread script to work. So, in case there is someone else like me, I'm just offering another way to go.

I agree having the runtime code signed is more correct. And I plan to put more time into doing that. But I had a deadline and had to ship.

1 2 Previous Next