AnsweredAssumed Answered

Save As PDF showstopping issue in 14.0.6 update, also in 15

Question asked by paulhurt on Sep 12, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 by paulhurt

Hi, I know this has been discussed in other threads, but can I find those threads?... (no)

 

My experience has been:

 

* Mac version of FM 14.0.5, running under OS X 10.11.6. Self-built accounts and invoicing database, has worked beautifully in FM10, 12 and 14.

 

* Updated FM to 14.0.6 - because when the application constantly tells you there's a point upgrade, you upgrade it, don't you? Keep your applications up to date to avoid bugs...

 

* Suddenly, PDFs saved using "Save As..." will not open in Adobe Reader (or Preview for that matter), returning the dialog "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and cannot be repaired."

 

* I attempted to downgrade back to FM 14.0.5, but then the application would simply crash whenever I created a PDF.

 

* I found a post on the forums saying that PDF creation was improved in FM15. So I took a deep breath, got the credit card out, and bought the FM15 update.

 

* Not fixed. Filemaker 15 PDFs were also corrupted exactly as they were in 14.0.6

 

* I found that printing to PDF using "Print..." does create working PDFs but of course I can't script it. And in any case, I don't really want to have to spend the time attempting to re-write scripts to fix something that worked fine before. What I'm trying to do is get some invoices out to customers!

 

* I tried restarts, OS updates, re-saving my database. Also changing themes and other measures suggested in the forums. No improvement.

 

* Eventually I managed to reinstall v14.0.4 and PDF export works again. I was very lucky to find the license keys and installers to my previous versions to enable me to do this, since of course you can't "upgrade" v15 to v14.

 

 

All in all, a very frustrating and expensive experience.

 

Using a script to export PDFs is critical to my database application. PDF invoices are automatically custom-named and saved to the correct location before they are emailed to clients. Maybe the issue is font-related, but my document uses my businesses house font in places (which if I remember is a Postscript font) so removing the font from the layout isn't really an option. And of course, it worked fine before I did the 14.0.5 to 14.0.6 update.

 

I wasted four hours of my working day trying to fix this, and spent £175 for an upgrade to v15 which it turns out I can't use.

 

So it would be fair to say I'm a bit disappointed. It would be great to know when this issue is resolved.

Outcomes