13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 5:23 PM by philmodjunk

access for developer

gilo

Hi

Is there a way to give access to a developer so that he can modify the Db without seeing my records?

Without scripting that account is not seing the records? Would prefer a solution in account management of FM....

• 1. Re: access for developer
          philmodjunk

No as anyone with developer access has access to everything but the hash enconded passwords in Manage Security. (no one has access to those).

The only way to block access is to not give them full access or to provide the developer with a clone of the DB so that there is no sensitive data to be compromised.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: access for developer
            gilo

Ok so i give him an empty clone but them i have to rebuilt everything in my db:-/ ok thanx

• 3. Re: access for developer
              philmodjunk

Part of the work that you hand your developer can be that he create a script that imports the data from your current file into the modified clone that he produces for you.

And if you design your database to split it into two files, one for the user interface and one for the data (called the data separation model), any changes to the interface file require nothing more than swapping one file for the other.

The only caveat to all that is that any Filemaker accounts added/changed in Manage | Security will need to be manually updated after delivery of the new file(s).

• 4. Re: access for developer
                David Moyer

Hi,

sadly, I can think of no easy way to populate a clone with sample data as it would require importing into/populating every table in your clone.  I say this because your developer will likely want sample data.

• 5. Re: access for developer
                  philmodjunk

I agree with that. It can be done, but not simply. It may not be as big a job as you might think, however as usually, at least some of the tables do not contain sensitive data and thus the number of tables where you might have to "anonymize" sensitive data so that it can be used as sample data may not be horrendously large--but that's pure speculation as it all depends on your database.

• 6. Re: access for developer
                    gilo

Thank you guys for your help

• 7. Re: access for developer
                      coherentkris

if you don't trust the developer with your data why are you trusting them with the work?

A Non Disclosure Agreement might be appropriate

• 8. Re: access for developer
                        beverly

ditto. I sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) on any project. I take extra care to secure what I work on for others. This should be standard, or don't work with someone who does not.

beverly

• 9. Re: access for developer
                          philmodjunk

Not sure I'd consider an NDA sufficient in all cases. If that contractor quietly facilitated identity theft on a number of individuals using our data, we might not even know it happened until too late and proving that it was the contractor that did it might be very difficult, even impossible to prove.

Here at work, we've discussed contracting some work out from time to time and If we hired someone totally new, we might not want to trust in that piece of paper until we've established an ongoing relationship with the contractor for a while. We'd definitely get that NDA, but would probably also discuss exactly how much access and to what we'd grant them--at least starting out.

• 10. Re: access for developer
                            beverly

get referrals, if you have something sensitive, then you should know how to get someone who will adhere to NDA. But I suppose even Mr. B would say that there are possible security vulnerablilities if anything is shared with another.

• 11. Re: access for developer
                              CarlSchwarz

In some cases that the person with access to the data has to go through some level of clearance or needs to adhere to company policies and procedures.  E.g. Medical records or School databases

Not having the data sure does make it hard for the developer

• 12. Re: access for developer
                                beverly

'clearance' being the keyword, Carl! As a developer, one can also get 'clearance'. But if I'm working with someone who has clearance & I haven't for a given project, then I work with no data and/or work as a tutor/trainer on how-to without really needing to have access.

beverly

• 13. Re: access for developer
                                  philmodjunk
                                  Not having the data sure does make it hard for the developer

Sure does and can even result in major errors in your work. On the other hand, there are web sources of test data and scripts can be set up and run on a back up copy of a file to modify the sensitive data so that it no longer is sensitive but still is a realistic representation of the actual data.

It's a matter of how much risk you want to take vs. how much extra work you want to commit to in order for such work to be done for you.