14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 11:49 AM by hbee

Responsive text fields

hbee

Hi all!

I have a text field called 'Project Brief' with text in it:

1.jpg

There is loads of text which you can only see when you click on the field like this:

2.jpg

This layout has to be exported to a pdf when finished so I'm wondering if there is a way to make the field responsive so that the height increases inline with the amount of text that is input into the field and so that the entire brief appears when exported as a pdf.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Responsive text fields
          beverly

Research sliding objects (when printing). You may need another layout for this. Basically all fields are maximum height (of contents) and when the sliding option (in Inspector) is used AND the layout is previewed or printed (even PDF), the text will slide up (and/or right) based on your set up).

Sent from miPhone

• 2. Re: Responsive text fields
            hbee

Ok I've just researched that (half the problem is knowing what to actually search for!!).  That makes sense for reducing field size when the field contains a small amount of data so that there are no spaces when printing but are you saying you can't do it the other way round?  i.e increase the size of the field if there is more data in the field than is visible within the normal field dimensions?

• 3. Re: Responsive text fields
              hbee

Also, the slide up function doesn't seem to be working for me.  I set the field to slide up in the inspector:

1.jpg

Then I enter a small amount of text:

2.jpg

But in preview mode it doesn't reduce the empty space:

3.jpg

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Responsive text fields
                beverly

read my reply again

Basically all fields are maximum height (of contents)

create a layout (duplicate the one you have) and make all fields that need to be smaller (on printing) as LARGE as possible (to match the most content). then turn on SLIDING for these fields (and probably all fields). When you preview any record on this layout, you will see the fields made smaller (shorter). make this layout for printing only and the other one for data entry.

this old help topic may show better:

perhaps this video is helpful:

beverly

• 5. Re: Responsive text fields
                  BruceRobertson

To what extent is this field a  concatenation of return-delimited values from the previously discussed, non-normalized, disaster-structured unreportable checklist?

You might take another look at the suggestion from PhilModJunk. You will gain a lot of advantages once you begin designing your system as a database.

Re: Else If

Also, you may want to learn about the Virtual List technique. Rather than trying to make and manipulate gigundous single block text fields, the approach  is to take each return-delimited chunk and cause it to appear in a separate record. This makes slide up and page break MUCH easier to deal with, and allows for very flexible report organization.

• 6. Re: Responsive text fields
                    beverly

If you read the entire thread, Bruce, you'll see there is some learning to be done on fields, layouts and formatting of fields on layouts.

baby steps...

beverly

• 7. Re: Responsive text fields
                      BruceRobertson

Yes, I agree, you are sort of stating my point in a different way.

• 8. Re: Responsive text fields
                        hbee

Beverly, just followed your instructions but it still hasn't worked.  I duplicated for print, increased the size of the field, applied the sliding up function and entered a small amount of text but when I preview it there is still a huge amount of space.

Sorry guys, don't mean to pester you with such simple issues.  If you can help me with this one, I'll leave you alone and go through tutorials.

• 9. Re: Responsive text fields
                          beverly

too much space between fields? and not all are sliding? post a screen shot of layout mode and how it looks preview mode? you can create a dummy record to post, if desired.

beverly

• 10. Re: Responsive text fields
                            hbee

Look at the 7th post up, the one with the screenshots.  All I have now is exactly the same but with the field in question massively enlarged, bit hard to get a screenshot of!

• 11. Re: Responsive text fields
                              beverly

yes, but are all the fields set to slide up or only this one? and are the fields BELOW this one set to slide up, too. That is what needs to happen, your field (large) needs to shrink and every field and label or other object below it needs to slide to fill the space left.

just for a test, select all and set to slide up. go to preview mode. Does that help?

beverly

• 12. Re: Responsive text fields
                                hbee

Ah yes that works!

Is it not advisable to have all fields set to slide up?

• 13. Re: Responsive text fields
                                  beverly

only those fields that need to shrink and those fields below it are needed. sometimes you want stuff to stay put (not slide) and have the sliding parts below that.

I think you're ready to study up on a few more of the FileMaker basics, now that you see how powerful a few things are.

From the Resources menu at the top of this forum:

beverly

• 14. Re: Responsive text fields
                                    hbee

Beverly thank you once again, your help is much appreciated!

And yes I'm ready to dive in!  Do you know of any good video tutorial series?