12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2016 11:29 AM by PierceButler

El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14

PierceButler

I've been running FMP14Adv under the Yosemite version of MacOS with no problems (from FMP; minor glitches elsewhere).

When I decided to try El Capitan, I backed up the startup volume, erased it, installed EC from scratch, played around a little, and used Migration Assistant to transfer files, apps, etc from the backup. No errors reported during that process; no problems with other playings-around.

But launching FMP14 now produces this message:

This application has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program.

Please run the Installer to get a fresh copy of the application after determining the cause.

Uh, that doesn't help much, FM.

(Incidentally, the "Please run..." suggestion will not work for me. I've used FM since way back in the Classic MacOS era, and have a nice collection of upgrade packages, but no installer as such that would run on any Mac made in the last 15 years or longer...)

Anybody have any ideas on what went off the rails and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for all suggestions & comments!

• 1. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
          TSPigeon

PierceButler:

Thank you for your post!

It sounds like the application is having issues after being restored from the backup. You might try reinstalling FileMaker Pro 14 to resolve. FileMaker Pro 14 is tested working on OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
            PierceButler

TSPigeon - I think you misread my question.

I did not restore FMP from a backup, but just transferred it via Migration Assistant. (Could there be, say, something in the Libraries:Application Support folder or suchlike that didn't get carried along?)

And, as I also said, I cannot reinstall FMP14 from an upgrader file.

• 3. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
              TSPigeon

PierceButler:

I'm not sure why the Migration Assistant would not have pulled the application over properly, but we have seen this error due to this process before. I just resent your FileMaker Pro 14 Order and Reactivated the download links on that page. Please let me know if a reinstall does not resolve this issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                PierceButler

Thanks very much!

Installer now downloaded and unpacked - but when I ran it, I got a "No qualifying product found" message (though I have not moved the munged copy of FMPA14, or the as-yet-untested copies of FMPA 11 & 12 also migrated with it - and other volumes still mounted also have all three).

Since the installer also offered an option to continue by giving it a license key and my username/organization, I did that. It replied:

You have entered an invalid license key.

Please refer to your media or order

confirmation email for the correct information.

As the license key I used was a copy-paste from the email you sent, I can't figure out where to go from here.

Got any tips for the clueless?

(Btw, I need to go run some errands - hope to get back online in four hours or so...)

Thx again!

PS: Pls mention to Tim, next time y'all play a round of golf, that maybe he should ask the Migration Assistant team to polish their code a bit more...

• 5. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                  Markus Schneider

Not sure... but check for spaces (ending, leading) in the SN - we got a problem with an installation on a customers site this werk -> the person who wanted to install copied a trailing blank, almost invisible )-:

The download link will open the webpage -> there should be the install code as welll

• 6. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                    TSPigeon

PierceButler:

Apologies! The Software Download Page didn't mention FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced being an upgrade for some reason. I just sent out your FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced Order, which will have the key you enter as the qualifying product.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                      Markus Schneider

I was thinking about that - but was afraid to ask (-:

• 8. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                        PierceButler

We continue to make progress - slowwwwly. (Admittedly, mostly my fault for the prolonged interruption today...)

The link you sent me worked, the download worked, the install process worked (with some stumbles: the default El Capitan security routines do _not_ consider filemaker.com a "trusted source" of downloads - have a little chat with Tim about that too, willya?).

But when I fired up the FMPA14 upgrader, it still couldn't find a "qualifying product" to work on (though this time it did go through all the mounted volumes). I directed it manually to the newly installed FMPA11, but I might as well have told a 9-yo to fill up on a big plate of raw cauliflower:

"/Applications/FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app" is not a qualifying product.

Entering the "qualifying FileMaker License Key" didn't make any difference either (yes, Markus, I did check for extraneous spaces - that boo-boo has tripped me up before, so thanks for the reminder!).

So - what next???

• 9. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                          TSPigeon

PierceButler:

It looks like your FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced was purchased after the qualifying date for FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced (25-Sep-2015). I'm not seeing a license for FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced or newer. I would recommend calling Customer Service for further support on this.

Customer Service Number: 800-325-2747

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                            PierceButler

For the record: J.T. at FM Customer Service sent me a link with a .dmg download and the right serial numbers to install FMPA 14, and this time everything worked!

• 11. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                              Markus Schneider

Yes - while we've really had problems with FMI's customer support in the past, the support is now superbe! I'd like to say a B-I-G 'thank You' to the support guys - You are doing a super job!

Same for the TS people here!

• 12. Re: El Capitan upgrade breaks FMP14
                                PierceButler

Glad to hear the support side at FM is improving, and certainly I got a happy ending out of this case.

Before opening that second bottle of champagne, however, pls note that the records available to TSPigeon seem to have omitted various upgrade purchases by me (and thus, very likely, others).

From here that looks like a data entry problem (perhaps some of those transactions include my middle initial or suchlike), but it does make me wonder what database they use for support...