5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 7:17 AM by taylorsharpe

Fastest Import Format

DSKatSCL

Has anyone benchmarked importing different file types of the same data into FileMaker?  Is there any file format that seems to import significantly faster than others?  I have to import some very large files each month and looking for the fastest format to throw at FMP.

CSV

TAB

TXT

XLS

XLSX

• 1. Re: Fastest Import Format
          Vincent_L

Nicholas Orr, of Base element fame, once (i'd say 3-4 years ago) wrote in a blog post that CSV was the fastest of them all

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fastest Import Format
            Vincent_L

Remember that indexing is what kills performance, so, if you can prevent fields to be indexed (set them as insidexing none).

Of course that means they're unusable afterwards in the filemaker world, but heck it's faster :-)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Fastest Import Format
              beverly

Not only indexing. I have found it faster to data-dump import (as-is) into temporary tables if the final tables have many calcs & auto-enters. It may also depend on the amount of fields & records, too. YMMV

Regardless, if the import can be done on server (PSoS or scheduled script) it is blazingly faster than from FMPro.

Sent from miPhone

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fastest Import Format
                FabriceNordmann

Yes, CSV and tab delimited are indeed the fastest.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Fastest Import Format
                  taylorsharpe

Someone posted a discussion that I can't seem to find about using Javascript in a FileMaker web portal via PSoS to massage the data and then import the result much faster than a normal import (web portal loads the import).  I can't seem to find it, and it certainly is not the easiest method.  But I think they were working with millions of records and every ounce of speed mattered.  Depending on the source being hosted as a service, maybe some type of API with HTTP POST/GET could be faster too.  Just some things to think about which may or may not be useful.