ender

Filemaker to Excel... but they don't want 50+ columns...

Discussion created by ender on Sep 15, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2016 by fmpdude

Our area manager wants an export from Filemaker to Excel, but doesn't want "a huge spreadsheet with 50+ columns". She want to know if there is a way to export Filemaker data (including portal data from related tables) to specific cells in Excel spreadsheets--one record per spreadsheet. From what I understand, she is hoping for something form-like similar to what we have in Filemaker. (The spreadsheets will be a "long-term interim" tool while a corporate system is under transition.)

I've been reading about exporting as .csv, XML/XLST, Merge, etc. and working with pivot tables, etc., and encountering descriptions that sound vaguely similar to what we want to do, but am confused on what would actually get us there. I have almost no experience with other formats, and I'm no Excel expert either. (I'm just the FM database person.)

Part of my problem, I think, is that some of the descriptions I've read reference deprecated functionality in Filemaker or Excel (e.g. apparently Excel used to have a Filemaker import option).

• What process and/or format should I spend my time researching in order to make this happen?
  • Anyone know of a tutorial that would help?

We have multiple users on various platforms:

• Filemaker: 13 (soon to be 14) on Windows 10 Enterprise, some still on Windows 7, and some on Mac OS Mavericks (soon to be Yosemite)
  • Excel: 2016 on Windows 10, and 2013 on Windows Enterprise 7
  • May also have some users on Excel 2008 on Mac OS

Thank you.

Outcomes