14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 10:03 AM by TSGal

FMPA 15 window cycling stops

justinc

Product and version FM Pro Adv 15.0.1.119

OS and version     OS X 10.11.6

Hardware               MacBookPro10,2  (MBPro 13, Intel i5, 2.6GHz; 8GB RAM)

Description          Using the OSX key-combo "cmd-~" to cycle through windows within an application gets halted on one screen in the list of windows for FMPa.  E.g. if I have 4 FMPa windows open (say 1, 2, 3 solution windows and script workspace), I can hit cmd-~ and it will select windows 1-2-3-SW {stuck}.  It's the transition from SW to 1 in this case.  If I click on window 2, it will cycle again 2-3-SW {stuck}.  If I close the SW window, then some other window becomes the blocker:  e.g. 1-2-3 {stuck} (the transition from 3 to 1); click on 1: 1-2-3{stuck}.  I can move forward or backward in the sequence until I reach...whatever transition it doesn't like.

How to replicate     Not sure

Workaround           Closing FMPa and reopening appears to make it OK again.  But for how long?  It has happened a couple of times.

• 1. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
          TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for your post.

Using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.11.6, I have been unable to replicate your issue.  No matter what order I open the files and Script Workspace, or additional windows and Script Workspaces, pressing Cmd-~ always cycles through the windows without stopping.

I realize this has only happened "a couple of times", so the next time this occurs, write down as much information as possible.  More specifically, what actions were you taking just before this failed, what files were open, what windows were open, were all files in Browse mode, Layout mode, any plug-ins enabled, etc.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
            justinc

Yeah, I haven't been able to repeat it since then, either. 

• 3. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
              justinc

It happened to me again, today.  Not exactly sure what triggered it, unfortunately...I just happened to run across it's existence.

I had 4 files open: 2 remote, 2 local.  I also had the Script Workspace open.  The 2 local files were both minimized.  It appeared that the window sequence was:  1, 2, SW, 3, 4.  3 and 4 were the 2 local files.  The application would not cycle to the front of the sequence, nor could I cycle backwards from 1.

• 4. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                TSGal

justinc:

It's not clear what is the sequence.  When you pressed Command-~, what windows activated?  On subsequent pressings, what occurred?

In case this is a system memory issue, what other applications were open?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                  justinc

There were 5 FM windows I had open; I just assigned them theoretical #s, but did classify them as from either local (L) or remote (R) files.  The windows would activate from left to right in the sequence.  To be a bit more clear:  1 (R), 2 (R) , 3(SW, R), 4(L) , 5(L).

They would all activate in that sequence, until you reached the end of the sequence, and then it would stop - it did not go back to the start.  So it depended on where you started, and what windows were minimized or not.

I have lots of other things open:  Firefox, Thunderbird, Inspector Pro, Excel, Messages (Apple), TextWrangler, and Skype.  FileMaker is taking up 809.2MB currently (I haven't shut it down since reporting this).  Total system memory usage is 6.26GB out of 8GB.

Does that answer your questions?

• 6. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                    TSGal

justinc:

Yes, this answers my questions.

Since Command-~ is a Mac OS keyboard shortcut, switch to Excel or Firefox (or another application where you have multiple windows open) and see if Command-~ cycles through the open windows.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                      justinc

The issue with FM cycling is currently present (i.e. I haven't restarted FM, and various window opening and closing hasn't changed the issue apparently).  In this state, I am able to properly cycle through 3 different Firefox windows without any troubles.

My current state:  I have 2 local files open, with 5 windows total - 3 are solution windows, 2 are utility windows.  Here's the current cycle order:  1, 2, 3(sw), 4(layoutmgr), 5.  It stops at 5 and doesn't cycle to 1, and vice versa.

• 8. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                        TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for the information.  I have sent this information to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                          TSGal

justinc:

Testing has been unable to replicate the issue based on the available information.  I realize this issue doesn't manifest until a lot of time has passed.

Are the database windows all Document windows?  Are there any floating document windows or dialog windows?  Are there any controls on the windows?  Any additional information you can remember may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                            justinc

My system is currently exhibiting the problem-state, but I don't recall when it started.  It's been a while since I restarted FM.  But in it's current state, I have two windows open: 1 from a local file, 1 from a hosted file.  These are both plain document windows (i.e. no modal or floating documents).  Both windows have all three controls in the top left (close, minimize, maximize).  One window is showing the toolbar (local file), the other (hosted file) is not.

In my current cycle, the last window I can switch to is the local file with the toolbar showing.

I will keep an eye on things and report more later.

• 11. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                              TSGal

justinc:

Thanks for the update.

I just want to confirm there are only two windows open (no Script Workspace, Manage Layouts, or anything else).  Also, what other applications are open?  If you switch to another application and back, does the issue still occur.

Are you able to circle forward from the first window to the second window?  Is the second window the local file or the hosted file?

In essence, I'm trying to get as much information possible to determine if it is the order of windows, remote database files, other applications open, etc.  Anything that may help point to possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                                justinc

I have restarted FM since I last wrote, but I have most of the details you're asking about...

Yes, there were only two windows open.  Adding or subtracting windows doesn't seem to affect the problem... the window that is 'last' in the sequence might change, but the cycling still stops.  Windows that are hidden also don't affect the cycling, they are just ignored (as usual).

What other applications was probably similar to what I detailed before, but I didn't note exactly which ones at that time.  Switching to another application doesn't affect the issue either.

The last/2nd window was the local file.

I'll keep an eye out for when it happens again.

• 13. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                                  justinc

I just ran into this issue again - it has been a while.  I'm using 15.03 now (still on 10.11.6).

I noticed it happening after I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  (I was trying to tackle a PDF-In-container-field annoyance.)  I did some saving of records as PDF and specified some specific View options in the FM dialog.  I then imported that file into my container field in a test database I had made.  I noticed very soon after that, that the cmd-~ window switching was stopping; I could shift-cmd-~  and go backward through the sequence, but it would stop at the other end.

I have a variety of applications open, as always.  I had 3 local files open, 1 hosted file; there were 5 windows total.  These are just regular FM windows; things like Script Workspace, debugger, data viewer, etc were not open.

• 14. Re: FMPA 15 window cycling stops
                                    TSGal

justinc:

I have attached your comments to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.