5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2017 11:01 AM by Devon Braun

Web Viewer not rendering PDFs

Devon Braun

I've got a web viewer whose contents are built on the following calculation:

data:text/html,"<!doctype><html>
      <body>
           <iframe src='[PathToWebHostedPdf]' style='width:100%;height:100%;'></iframe>
      </body>
      </html>"

On one computer it works fine, on another it does not.

Both computers are MacBook Pro late 2013, Running Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, and both are looking at the exact same hosted web-hosted PDF.

The computer that renders PDFs just fine is running FMPA 12.

The computer that fails to render is FMPA 15.  Instead of the PDF it's showing an all-black screen.

The same web viewer, renders the above iframe just fine when it points to a web page not containing a PDF.

And the computer is perfectly capable of rending the hosted PDF in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, just not in the FMPA 15 web viewer.

So the problem seems limited to a version of FMPA running on this particular computer when viewing a PDF.

I found this: PDF file may not display in a Web Viewer or Interactive Container field | FileMaker and this: Unable to display PDF file directly in Web Viewer on Mac OS X | FileMaker, old posts which point the finger at Adobe Reader and the suggest to 'turn of enabled-plugins'.  I don't have Reader, but do have latest version Adobe Acrobat DC from Adobe CC, and didn't immediately find a relevant option.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Web Viewer not rendering PDFs
          bigtom

I have seen some problems in the past but nothing recently. I just tested an iframe using your basic html and it works in FMPA 15.

Your syntax was a little off,  but this worked.

"data:text/html,<!doctype><html> 

<body> 

<iframe src='https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/15/en/fms15_getting_started.pdf' style='width:100%;height:95%;'></iframe> 

</body> 

</html>"

As a note using 100% height causes an issue where the iframe and the webviewer both scroll and it is not the best user experience.

I have the latest Adobe Reader, and CC Acrobat DC running on 10.11.

• 2. Re: Web Viewer not rendering PDFs
            bigtom

Have you tried installing Reader?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Web Viewer not rendering PDFs
              Devon Braun

Thanks bigtom,

I tested code you included, and got the same black results in the iframe.  Again, this affects one computer, not the other.  (Both computers, the one running FMPA 12 & the other running FMPA 15) are using the same file, same record, same web viewer, looking at the same PDF.  One works, the other doesn't.  I imagine you're correct that the FMP version isn't the issue, that FMP 15 is perfectly capable of handling a PDF, and that something is wrong with some setting somewhere on the computer running FMP 15.

I haven't yet tried installing Reader yet.  Will soon, would hope one installed Acrobat App would be a enough.  Both computers have CC's latest version Adobe DC, and neither as Adobe Reader installed, so that may not be the reason one works and the other doesn't.

• 4. Re: Web Viewer not rendering PDFs
                neufere

I had the same problem which led me to your posting. I figured it out. Somewhere along the line, the PDF Browser Plugin from Manfred Schubert was installed on my computer (in Library:Internet Plug-ins). Once I removed it, I could view PDFs in a web viewer.

I was led to the discovery by right-clicking the web viewer and getting a contextual menu that had a link, About PDF Browser Plugin.

I'm on FM Pro Advanced 15 with OS X Yosemite.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Web Viewer not rendering PDFs
                  Devon Braun

Neufere, looking right.  After a few upgrades involving Adobe CC, PDFs suddenly load fine in the web viewer, now with a clearly Adobe Acrobat framework.

So great to have PDFs back in FMP for this computer again, but now FMP crashes a lot -- presumably because of the Adobe Acrobat plugin.

Is there any way to get tell a web viewer -- or any browser for that matter -- to use a specific PDF plugin of the developer's choosing?  Ideally something on the HTML/client side (meta tag or a JS library) as opposed to digging into browser preferences, which (I think) are inaccessible when it comes to FMP Web Viewers.