13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 9:26 AM by JeffWilson_2

FileMaker 13 vs. 14

JeffWilson_2

We currently have a database hosted on a FileMaker 13 server (Server 13.0v9).

In WebDirect, we're having the well-documented problem with grey text in fields, apparently because as a developer I'm using FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced.

We briefly had this file on a FileMaker 14 server a year ago and encountered problems, which I can't recall now. I think it related to the stability of WebDirect. Looking back at emails, it seems this was about Oct. 1, 2015. That's when we downgraded to a 13 server.

Does anyone have an opinion about the stability of WebDirect on Server 14 in this day and age?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
          mardikennedy

FMS 15 seems to be a nice stride forward.  (Any differing opinions out there?)  Maybe skip v14.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
            TSPigeon

JeffWilson_2:

Thank you for your post!

Generally speaking FileMaker Server 15 should be more stable and efficient than FileMaker 13. If the issues you ran into previously were solution specific I can't say if it would work any better for you than 14. For instance, I know 14 and 15 are far more finicky when the Classic "Theme" is being used in the layouts. Something like that would just take some layout development to move forward.

I hope this helps and I'm going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive even more views and potentially more advice!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
              JeffWilson_2

But isn't FileMaker 15 more expensive to implement because of the licensing changes?

• 4. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                taylorsharpe

FileMaker 13 was version 1 of WebDirect.  It was a nice giant step forward, but certainly had issues.  Especially about speed going from field to field.  Both 14 and 15 improved performance and stability in WebDirect.  As noted above, why would you want to look at older software with all of the security issues going around now.  Keeping current on software, the OS, SSL certificates and hardware is much more important to security than it used to be.  I remember when we only upgraded when there were new features we wanted.  But those days are gone in light of the quickly changing issues in securing data.  In 13 hardly anyone did 3rd party SSL certificates and FM was just pushing us that way.  Most people were not Encrypting at Rest.  And FM 15 has additional protection now on both getting into and out of the Security panel. 

Have you considered one of the annual or maintenance contracts to keep you current on the latest versions of the software?  That would be a good step too.

My recommendation is to upgrade to 15 for not only better WebDirect experience, but security too. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                  taylorsharpe

Jeff, certain scenarios of FM 15 licensing can be more expensive and certain ones can be less expensive.  In a nut shell, FileMaker changes its licensing to be more similar to how Microsoft and Oracle do it where they license per person.  FM's old way of licensing kind of developed over the years to meet new features, but strayed for the norm.  But to know the best licensing option, we need to know how many staff are connecting.  With WebDirect you may be relying on concurrent connections which are much more expensive in 15.  Then again licensing by person is often less expensive.  If you'll describe your situation, I'm sure we can help with some comparisons. 

• 6. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                    JeffWilson_2

We are a tiny non-profit (501c3) that conducts a 400-student event four days per year. Our database is hosted by a third-party company (FileMaker Hosting Pros).

For 361 days per year, we primarily connect via FMP desktop, and we have a 10-user license that's more than adequate for our needs.

But during the event -- and in the weeks leading up to the event -- students are connecting to their online Control Panel within FileMaker Pro WebDirect to register, submit materials and more. I don't know how many might be connected at a time, but it's easily many dozen.

Plus, more are connecting via FileMaker Go.

Based on what I know about the licensing plan for 15, our cost will skyrocket. Our hosting company wants triple our currently monthly cost just to provide the box. Then we'd have to license Server from FileMaker. And then you're talking all of these concurrent connection licenses. I can't imagine how this will be affordable.

But give it your best shot. I'm curious.

(The organization is the Tennessee Intercollegiate State Legislature, so you can check your records to see our current subscription.)

• 7. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                      TSPigeon

JeffWilson_2:

A Sales Representative should be contacting you to talk about options.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                        srzuch

It will be more expensive.  Shared commercial hosting (sharing a FM Server with other companies) is not allowed for FMS 15.  You are required to have your own license of FMS running in your own instance of the server operating system.  You will gain stronger security, and more control of performance, but at a significantly greater cost than shared hosting.  There has been a lot of postings on this issue, and pretty much it has been beaten to death.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                          JeffWilson_2

This could quickly get so expensive that it shuts us down. We have a tiny budget so that all colleges -- even the poorest ones -- can participate. I'm a professional FileMaker developer, so I've done all of the development of a sophisticated database for free. But if hosting becomes thousands of dollars per year, we have serious problems.

Just this morning, I'm trying to find money for a poor historically black college in Memphis to attend this year, which they couldn't previously.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                            srzuch

Maybe you should call Filemaker directly on licensing FMS 15, especially since they give discounts to non-for-profits.  It may be more cost effective for you to provide your own FMS license to a hosting company.  Filemaker also may have some suggestions.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                              JeffWilson_2

I'd actually been intending to call them; I didn't expect this thread to reach this point. TSPigeon (above) said they'd contact me, so now I'm waiting for that rather than confusing things with cross-calls.

We've already got the non-profit discount on the 10 seats we license. As a FileMaker developer since 1992 and a good shopper since before that, I've already got the best deal possible. But the possibility of 100 extra licenses times whatever that costs becomes thousands of dollars that we don't have and can't obtain without telling some students to stay home.

So I'll wait to hear from FileMaker and hope for the best. Maybe they have a scholarship program for organizations like ours.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                                DrewTenenholz

Jeff  --

When you've heard back from FMI Sales about what is possible for your situation (under 10 users for 320 days/year then a huge surge in activity just prior to the event), would you please let us all know what you find out?

How do your 'surge' users connect?  You've mentioned FMGo, but I'm unclear what you mean by 'online Control Panel within FileMaker Pro' is that a WebDirect setup?  Is it FMPro (all these students have FMPro box/perpetual licenses??)?

With the new FileMaker for Teams licenses, it would appear that your particular situation is not well accommodated. If you had a Custom Web Publishing setup, then I'd think you were OK, but I get the impression that is not the case.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 13. Re: FileMaker 13 vs. 14
                                  JeffWilson_2

Drew, yes, it's within WebDirect. We have a link from our web site. They create an account, register for the event and then do a ton of other things through WebDirect. It's vital to our operation.

FileMaker Go users have limited functionality. They can look up documents and nothing else, but it saves many of them from buying a printed book.