3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 9:55 PM by andrewnzinuk

Lookup showing a "?"

andrewnzinuk

Hi

I am very new to Filemaker but am really enjoying it so far. One question I have is with a lookup. I have a team member table with a First_Name and a Surname/ I also have a calculated field called Full_Name which is First_Name & " " & Surname concatenated together.

When putting Full_Name on a form the name appears as expected.

I have provided the user with the option of selecting a team member with a drop down box, which shows the team member and ID, with the second field being the Surname. This works fine, If I change the second field to the First Name, this also works fine.

However when I change the second field to the calculated column Full_Name, the lookup comes up with a question mark "?"

Is it possible to have a calculated field appear successfully as second field in a lookup, or am I approaching this the wrong way.

Thanks

Andrew

• 1. Re: Lookup showing a "?"
          PeterWindle

Check the "type" result of the calculation and indexed, there are many times where if a text calc is set to number, it will show results correctly, but not everywhere, especially if they are used in things like value lists, because of indexing.

• 2. Re: Lookup showing a "?"
            andrewnzinuk

Thanks Peter. Yes it was the fact that the column was indexed. The data type was set to text, but as soon as I removed the indexing on the column, it started to work as expected. Simple fix - but I have spent a few hours on and off trying to sort this - so thanks again.

Regards

Andrew

• 3. Re: Lookup showing a "?"
              andrewnzinuk

Hi Peter

I was a bit hasty. Once I removed the indexing, it worked - but could not sort on the full_name. So edited the calculation and did notice (as you stated) that the calculation might be trying to store itself as a number. So fixed that, put the indexing back on and viola!! Thanks again - you were spot on.

Regards

Andrew