8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 10:07 AM by roryduffy

Database automatically amended

joeboy37

Hello

I run a PR company and use Filemaker Pro 11 as a database for my journalists. I regularly use the 'email to groups' function in order to send press releases out to multiple email groups. However, a couple of months ago the name of all of the email groups in my database were automatically amended by Filemaker and now have the following at the start of the name:

==

For example, National Newspapers is now listed as ==National Newspapers.

This means that I can't select any email groups from the drop down menu when trying to 'email to groups' as the new versions are not listed.

Having called tech support I was told that my support cover expired at pretty much the same time this happened.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

I have approx 5000 files in this database so cant do it one by one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
      Joe

• 1. Re: Database automatically amended
          philmodjunk

Make a copy of your database just in case.

On a layout based on the table that contains this field and shows the email record...

Put the cursor in this field and select "Replace Field Contents" from the records menu

Select the "by calculation" option and enter an expression such as:

If ( Left ( YourFieldHere ; 2 ) = "==" ; Right ( YourFieldHere ; Length ( YourFieldHere ) - 2 ) ; YourFieldHere )

Then do the replace.

This expresssion checks for those leading == and if they are in the field, it removes them, leaving the field unchanged if they are not the first two characters.

A misuse of Replace Field Contents may be how this happened in the first place.

• 2. Re: Database automatically amended
            joeboy37

Hi,

Thanks very much for such a prompt reply.

I'm not sure whether I can do what you suggest with a single email group though. This is what I see when I highlight an email group (in this case 'Blind Media') and select Replace Field Contents. I definitely do not want all email groups to have the same name..?

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 16.25.51.png

Thanks

Joe

• 3. Re: Database automatically amended
              philmodjunk

That's exactly the right dialog and the one that I am recommending. Notice the bottom radio button for a calculated result. The calculation that I am recommending will not replace all records with the same value if you use this last option.

And don't forget to make a copy of your file first. That way, if you make a mistake, you can try again using the back up copy that you made.

• 4. Re: Database automatically amended
                joeboy37

So this should amend every file attached to the Blind Media email group?

• 5. Re: Database automatically amended
                  philmodjunk

it will update every field, not file in the current found set--that's why you need to show all records. It will only change the contents of that field if the first two characters are ==.

This cannot be reverted--so don't forget to make that back up copy first.

• 6. Re: Database automatically amended
                    joeboy37

Hi Phil

Do I need to replace the "your field here" with the name of one of my email groups? This doesn't seem to work. Is there a way of just fixing this for all email groups at the same time? I have around 100 different email groups.

Thanks

Joe

If ( Left ( YourFieldHere ; 2 ) = "==" ; Right ( YourFieldHere ; Length ( YourFieldHere ) - 2 ) ; YourFieldHere )

• 7. Re: Database automatically amended
                      philmodjunk
                      Do I need to replace the "your field here" with the name of one of my email groups?

Yes.

Is there a way of just fixing this for all email groups at the same time?

That's exactly what this should do for you. By using the calculation method each record can be updated using only the data in that record.

You'd only need to do this more than one time if you have more than one field in the same record that needs updating.

• 8. Re: Database automatically amended
                        roryduffy

Hi,

Do the following:

01) Make a backup copy of your Filemaker database (in case something goes wrong).

02) Ensure Browse Mode is on. To do this, either go to View --> Browse mode or hit command-B.

03) Click your cursor in the relevant field where you see ==National Newspapers

04) Go to Edit --> Find/Replace --> Find/Replace... or hit shift-command-F

05) Type the following in the corresponding fields:

Find what:==

Replace with:

Direction: All

Search across: All records

Search within: Current field

Find what field should contain only the 2 "=" characters.

Replace with field should be left blank - check that there are no characters entered in this field such as spaces.

06) Click Replace All

07) Click OK to confirm

08) You might need to wait a few minutes at this point as there are quite a lot of records to process ~5000

09) It should report the following:

Number of occurrences found: ~5000

Number of occurrences replaced: ~5000

Number of records searched:

Number of fields searched: [should be the same as the number of records searched, as it's only 1 field per record]

10) Click OK

Hope that this helps. If the problem persists, you could also try exporting all records to excel, and then re-importing them by a nominal match field. Let me know if you need guidance on this.
                        Cheers,

Rory