1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 10:51 AM by wvalawyer10800

Sluggish PDF rendering for OCR PDFs in filemaker using preview for Mac

wvalawyer10800

I am using interactive containers in Filemaker 14 for Mac and using Preview as the PDF engine for presenting the PDFs so far as I can tell.  I have noticed that PDFs that are relatively small 1-5 mb can be painfully slow in rendering and scrolling, but I have also noticed that PDFs of the same size render just fine for PDFs that have not been OCR'd. Has anyone else noticed this and have any suggestions?  I would not be opposed to turning the ability to recognize the OCR layer off, but I prefer to automatically OCR all PDFs and would not stop doing so because of this problem.

• 1. Re: Sluggish PDF rendering for OCR PDFs in filemaker using preview for Mac
          wvalawyer10800

dougalder essentially solved my problem in another post by posting this simple script to export the pdf.  This way I can simply view the PDF in my default PDF reader, which will run faster than Filemaker has, at least on my machine.  His post is as follows:

Another workaround for PDFs that won't display properly within FileMaker is to write a script that exports the file to FileMaker's Temp Directory and auto-opens the file in the default PDF viewer (Acrobat, Preview, etc). Something like this:

Set Variable [$Path; Value:Get(TemporaryPath)]

Set Variable [$FileName; Value:Data_Table:PDF_Container_Field]

Export Field Contents [Data_Table:PDF_Container_Field; "$Path/$FileName"; Automatically open]

Exporting the PDF should not leave the field blank as it is merely exporting a COPY of the PDF. The original will still be in the field.

Create a button and link it to the script. Put a PDF icon on it and a tooltip "View in PDF Reader" to help users understand what is going on.