9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 9:38 AM by krheinlander

A popover in a portal can contain...

TonyWhite

Hi All,

The NYFMP.org user group recently hosted an excellent presentation by Marianne Carroll... The Power of the Popover:
      http://nyfmp.org/2016/09/07/meeting-thursday-september-15th-2016-at-apple-store-grand-central/

One of the topics that was discussed was...
      What CAN a popover in a portal contain?

As you can see from the links below, there is some confusion in the documentation...

1. Here from a FileMaker, Inc. help page
      https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_layout.9.41.html
      [begin excerpt]
      You cannot place a slide control in a portal. However, you
      can place a slide control in a popover within a portal.
      [end excerpt]

2. Here from page 219 of the FileMaker TRAINING SERIES Master the essentials of FileMaker 13 (FTS_Advanced for FileMaker 13.pdf)
      [begin excerpt]
      When the popover button is located within a portal row, the popover object's context is an extension of the portal row. A popover button that is located inside a portal
      cannot contain a portal, slide control, or tab control.
      [end excerpt]

3. Here from page 224 (229 in the PDF) of the FileMaker Training Series FileMaker 14 Advanced (fts_advanced_fm14_en.pdf)
      [begin excerpt]
      When the popover button is located within a portal row, the popover object's context is an extension of the portal row. A popover button that is located inside a portal
      [end excerpt]

4. Here from page 214 (220 in the PDF) of the FileMaker Training Series FileMaker 15 Advanced (fts_advanced_fm15_en.pdf)
      [begin excerpt]
      [end excerpt]

It would be useful to have some clarification on:
      * what a popover in a portal can contain.
      * what a popover that is NOT in a portal can contain.

Tony White

• 1. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
          philmodjunk

When in doubt, try it and find out.

Documentation is very unlikely to be free of errors due to the fact that a) it's created by fallible humans and b) they keep changing what FileMaker can do and often are creating documentation even before the final features of the next release are finalized.

The first statement that you quote appears to be correct. You can put a slide and tab controls inside a popover button that is located inside a portal. What you can't do is place a portal inside that popover.

I recommend reporting this as a "documentation bug" over in Report an Issue.

As to what you can place inside a popover that is not in a portal, is that you can put anything but another popover inside it. Well.. technically you can put a popover button inside a popover panel, but it won't open...)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
            karimhanafi

May I dare to add that you can even place a web viewer in a popover, EXCEPT that it will always have the context of the first row. The web viewer will display in every occurrence of the popover (when placed directly on the portal, the web viewer displays on the first row only). It can come handy in some situations, if you use an onObjectEnter trigger to give context to the web viewer. I used it on one solution to display google maps for addresses showing in a portal.

• 3. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
              philmodjunk

Karim Hanafi,

Your description of this limitation intrigued me. So I did some tests.

If I just put the Web Viewer into the popover panel and just set up the Webviewer to refer to a URL field in the portal table, I get the results that you report.

But I find that I can get a web viewer to show a web page based on a URL stored in the portal record if I set up the OnObjectEnter script trigger on the popover panel to use Set Web Viewer to set it to the value of the URL field in the portal table.

So at least there is a work around....

• 4. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                karimhanafi

Yes Phil,

Using script triggers, we give context to the web viewer and, voilà!!! WV are also objects that we can use in popover.

Take care.

• 5. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                  user19752

I think bug in document is allowable for human error, but in "Training" it makes totally useless if it train wrong things

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                    philmodjunk

A single error hardly makes any documentation useless and I fail to see any real difference between training materials and other documentation in this. Both are used to understand how a system works. Both are subject to error just as is the design of the software itself.

But just as a bug in the software doesn't necessarily render it useless, neither does an error in the training materials.

• 7. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                      TonyWhite

While documentation, like code will often initially have errors, it a worthwhile goal for FileMaker documentation to improve over time and in the interim, to share with other developer what is being misrepresented.

Here are my thoughts on the mater:
                      Add an area for Product Documentation discussions
                      https://community.filemaker.com/thread/154542
                      It was nice to see that the suggestion to Add an area for Product Documentation discussions was well received.

One of the first things that we add to any system that we work on is an issue tracking system. We ship a bug from time to time. Our goal is not to be bug free as that is impractical. That said, if we do ship a bug, we acknowledge (so that people do not get bitten by it) the issue and we fix it as soon we can.

Thanks for the help with the testing. Many hands make light work.

http://www.twdesigns.com
                      http://FileMaker-Fanatics.com

• 8. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                        TonyWhite

Cool and useful. I had not seen that tip before.

Thanks for adding to the community knowledge-base.

Tony White

• 9. Re: A popover in a portal can contain...
                          krheinlander

More than a documentation issue, is the "will it remain supported in future versions" question? The standard response is "the documentation says it is not supported" so they drop support, and legacy work is "broken".

I'd really like a clarification from FMI, as to what is their perspective on supporting this feature, in particular, a slide/tab control in a popover. It is functional, but will it remain supported?