1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 8:16 AM by philmodjunk

Search Pic Report

kentanderson

This is my second Filemaker Database.  Im a Novice.  I have my database working well.  What I need help with is how to search for data related to the PIC field Please see attached.  Basically we change PIC on different Legs.  What I need to be able to do is search every record and show the flight time for a Specific PIC (pilot in command)  Ideally I need to have a report with the PiC's time and date, but for every record.  I'm thinking this needs to be done with some type of relationship table, but I'm not sure.  Please help.  I have 7 total PIC fields per record.

fm1.tifffm2.tiff

• 1. Re: Search Pic Report
          bigtom

Yes. You should be using a table for parent thing (flight?) and a separate table for all the data associated with it.

You might have flight number, name, and date and other totals on the parent and all the other data in a related table (Leg?). This would allow you to do a search for legs.

• 2. Re: Search Pic Report
            philmodjunk

For some reasons, your Tiff images are not displaying in my browser.

But if you have a table of "legs" where each record is one leg of your flight then you can also have a table of "commanders" with a container field for their picture. Then a relationship like this would serve:

Legs::_fkCommanderID = Commanders::__pkCommanderID

Then a list view type report can list each leg record for a given flight and a container field from Commanders can show the commander's picture. _fkCOmmanderID can be set up with a value list for selecting the commander for that leg.

• 3. Re: Search Pic Report
              bigtom

philmodjunk wrote:

For some reasons, your Tiff images are not displaying in my browser.

But if you have a table of "legs" where each record is one leg of your flight then you can also have a table of "commanders" with a container field for their picture. Then a relationship like this would serve:

Legs::_fkCommanderID = Commanders::__pkCommanderID

Then a list view type report can list each leg record for a given flight and a container field from Commanders can show the commander's picture. _fkCOmmanderID can be set up with a value list for selecting the commander for that leg.

This is even one step better.

• 4. Re: Search Pic Report
                kentanderson

So I currently have one table with 7 legs.  So one record contains 7 legs or less for that day's mission. i believe I understand your recommendation, but do I need to have one record equal 1 leg only?  Thank you

• 5. Re: Search Pic Report
                  kentanderson

I'm thinking that I want to keep all legs contained in one record, but I may be wrong.

• 6. Re: Search Pic Report
                    philmodjunk

Each "leg" needs to be its own record. A flight ID field can be used to group all the legs for the same flight into a single group for display on the screen. If you use a field for leg inside a single record, you get numerous complications. Two of which are that you limit your flights to a maximum number of legs and you'd need a Separate relationship for each leg field to match to a different commander record where the method I suggested requires only one.

And you can also set up a table of Flights where one flight record can link to many legs.

• 7. Re: Search Pic Report
                      kentanderson

How do I group multiple records?  And we have been in beta for a couple months now with the current database on 6 aircraft.  Will I be able to somehow convert the previous entered legs into my new database?  How hard would it be to set up relationships with my current database since we already have a lot of trips stored.  Thank you for all your help.

P.S. I created this program to eliminate paper logs.  In order to baby step our company I have all the legs and data displayed in the old paper log, this was the primary purpose for the program which works great.  I only recently thought of using it to track PIC time.  Thanks again

• 8. Re: Search Pic Report
                        kentanderson

fm3.tiff

This is a sample of the form.  Its in .tiff format

• 9. Re: Search Pic Report
                          bigtom

You just need a script to manage taking what you have and build new related records. About the same if you do it the same file or a new file.

The relationship groups the records.

Displaying the columns vertically can be a challenge. Maybe someone has some advice on that.

• 10. Re: Search Pic Report
                            philmodjunk

You can group records via relationship as BigTom said or by sorting or by performing a find.

Perform a find on a list view layout based on Legs specifying a specific Flight ID and you get all the legs for that flight. Show legs from multiple legs on the same layout and sort by Flight ID and get them in groups by flight.

A portal to Legs from the Flights layout will show only the legs for that flight.

Go To Related Records from Flights to Legs can produce a found set of just the Legs for one Flight.

If you have existing data in individual fields of the same record, a script can move the date from those fields into new records in a related Legs table fairly easily.

• 11. Re: Search Pic Report
                              kentanderson

After much thought I understand what you guys are saying.  I'm in agree that one record per leg is the best way to go.  I can not how ever figure out how to use my current layout to create multiple records at a time.  Im assuming I can not.  Im trying not to change the layout to much as I am dealing with older users that are set in their ways.  Everyone currently like the layout.  Any suggestions.  The portal idea may work but I'm not sure how to display it vertically vs horizontal. 

• 12. Re: Search Pic Report
                                bigtom

Portals are pretty much a horizontal thing. You can work out having multiple portals that filter for a specific leg since you might have a maximum expected number of legs. If you never expect to have more than 8 legs you would have 8 portals stretched vertically next to each other filtering for the leg specific leg number. If your users really want to see it vertically this might be what you do.

• 13. Re: Search Pic Report
                                  philmodjunk

Research "horizontal portal". One simple version is just a row of one row portals with the Initial row changed to be 1, 2, 3, 4...

As to "creating multiple records at a time", that is also something that can be done, though I can't quite picture exactly what you are attempting to accomplish by that method. If you mean that you want to tell the system, "this flight will have 5 legs and then get 5 related records for each leg, then yes a simple script can accomplish that. But you can also just set up your layout so that you start filling in "legs" from record to record--since you have to enter and select info for each leg anyway, that should work just as well.

keep in mind that the main limitation to displaying data in columns rather than rows is that this limits you to a certain maximum number of columns. For a set of records, you always the options to display the data in rows and gain the option to use as many rows as you might need. With a set of fields all in one record, you are limited to the maximum number allowed by the number of fields that you have created whether you use vertical or horizontal orientation.

• 14. Re: Search Pic Report
                                    kentanderson

What is the best method to start a new "leg"  I've been able to set up the horizontal portal's and i've got a script to start a new leg record and link it to the Flight.  But what is the best way to initiate the script.  a button?  I wish that the empty portals could show the fields and then once the user touched the first field a script trigger would run.  Any way to do that?  or what do you guys recommend? 

What happens if the user accidentally trips the script more that once and multiple record are created? seems that if would mess up the portal sort order?

1 2 Previous Next