3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 10:59 PM by akhlaq38

Dropdown list do not list all enteries, come up with wrong filter.

akhlaq38

Hi all

I have transactions tables where they need to enter value of "product ID" from "products" table. I have drop down or popup list getting value from product id and product name. If the product id is simple 1,2,3 and list shows both id and name then it is Ok. But if I use some code names as ID or I set the list to only show second field "product name" then the list do not come with all records. It filter it by seeing only first few digits. Like

If code number is like 10e1.2c18, 10e1.2c16,  10e1.2c14, 10e1.2d18, 10e1.2d16, 10e1.2d14. All are unique values. Popup or drop down list shows only first 3 records. So the total list of 380 record shown up with less than half in the list.

I left up the idea of coding and given the simple 1,2,3 serial numbers. But I want to show the list from the names. There it is the same problem, the list is only shown some wrong filtered list, with many names missing. Name are like"E10-1.2-CH-18", "E10-1.2-CH-16", "E10-1.2-CH-14", "E10-1.2-DL-18", "E10-1.2-DL-16", "E10-1.2-DL-14". The names are also unique, combination of name, thickness, color and length. In creating value list, it is selected "Include all records". But list only showing first 3 names of 6.

Is it normal behavior in FM or some thing is wrong or need to add some options?

• 1. Re: Dropdown list do not list all enteries, come up with wrong filter.
          macwombat

Your value list is based on values from the products table, but you are in the transactions table when you are triggering the value list in the dropdown.  What is the relationship between the transactions table and the products table - it is probably the relationship that is causing the "filtering".  You may need to set up another Table Occurrence (TO) from the transactions TO to a new products (TO) that can see all the products - and base your value list on looking across the relationship to the new TO.

Hope this helps.  Chris

• 2. Re: Dropdown list do not list all enteries, come up with wrong filter.
            philmodjunk

I wonder if that ID field might be of type number instead of text. If your ID's are going to be a mix of numbers and letters, it will need to be of type text or the index from which these values are drawn to produce the value list will only list data based on the numeric digits and that sounds like what you are describing here.

• 3. Re: Dropdown list do not list all enteries, come up with wrong filter.
              akhlaq38

Thank you Mr. Cullen

Yes Product table is parent and Transaction is child and both have relationship through ID. So I created another table name "Product Name List" and only inserted 2 fields, ID and Name. Both are text field but have unique data. The list showing in drop down or popup is complete now. Before it was not accepting any keyboard entry. I mean I wanted to type 5 so list should automatically be scrolled to entries starting from 5 of 50. It also behaving like that now.

Thank you again for help.

For Mr. philmod

ID field was first Number datatype then change to Text but there was no change. I was surprise that in MS Access it was very normal but why no in FM. Now I remember that we were taking that popup list either creating a new query for that purpose or from a separate table only created for taking the list.