4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 5:33 PM by beverly

Total Newbie Question: Product Map for FM 15

user28222

Does anyone know if Filemaker Server allows you to develop apps in the same way as Filemaker Pro or Filemaker Advanced?

I signed up for a Developer Subscription which includes FM Server, but am not sure if that includes the ability to develop FM apps?

Every dollar counts, so I am trying to save where I can...

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Total Newbie Question: Product Map for FM 15
          ch0c0halic

Wonmoh,

Welcome to the FileMaker community.

The creation and development of files requires either FileMaker Pro or Advanced. FileMaker Server is only for sharing files. Although most developer use it while development as it minimizes possible problems from computer crashes and provides backups in case of misspent development effort that you want to revert.

• 2. Re: Total Newbie Question: Product Map for FM 15
            dtcgnet

FM Server is a great product. It manages all sorts of things for the databases it serves. It is server software.

If you want to develop, I highly recommend FMP Advanced. FileMaker Pro does not include a debugger, you can't create Database Design Reports, and other very important development tools. You can get a FileMaker Pro license for $9 a month, or FileMaker Pro Advanced for $15. One or the other is necessary to develop with FileMaker.

If you attend Devcon, which is always a great event, you receive a free license for FileMaker Pro Advanced. Make those dollars count!

• 3. Re: Total Newbie Question: Product Map for FM 15
              user28222

Thank you for the warm welcome, and helpful guidance.

I see there is/was a Devcon in Vancouver(just missed that one)!

Definitely will check out the upcoming ones.

I have subsribed to the FM Developer License which gives me access to the FM Server for testing purposes, and the FM Pro 15 License for $9/mth or FM Advanced 15 for $15 is available just as you described(with annual pay)

I have jumped right into a business project where I pitched FM as the perfect solution.

Looking forward to awesome learnings and meeting great new friends!

Best Regards,

Wonmoh

• 4. Re: Total Newbie Question: Product Map for FM 15
                beverly

stick around and come back with questions anytime!!

beverly