14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 3:30 PM by David Moyer

Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?

ralvy

I have halted sales of a runtime solution of mine until I hear how FMI plans to replace it when it's discontinued. Until then, I can't tell potential buyers what it will cost them to run. Is there any news on this from FMI lately?

• 1. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
          Benjamin Fehr

there used to be a report I wrote which disappeared:

FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!! . Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums

How come?!!!

another discussion is locked:

Runtime deprecated - this is the end for many business models and solutions

We have to set our roadmap for the next 3-5 years.

FMI must give reliable information about changes with Runtime at least 3 Years ahead!

• 2. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
            monkeybreadsoftware

Why halt sales?

Sell your runtime!

You can still create them in FM 15.

The workaround seems to be using FLT or connections with a FM Server.

Than FM Pro is your new runtime running and FM makes some money with the connections on server.

• 3. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
              ralvy

Christian,

I don't want a client-server product for this. This is a single-user solution. I'm hoping FMI comes out with a sort of FM-Lite. A desktop edition without developer tools, that can run an existing FM solution.

• 4. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                monkeybreadsoftware

Yes, a FMP without editors for layouts, security, custom functions, scripts, etc. which could be given away for free would be nice. To run single user solution or connect to server.

• 5. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                  ralvy

I would be fine with FMI charging for such a product, and pass it on to the runtime customer. I assume it would be fairly inexpensive.

• 6. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                    Benjamin Fehr

when I built the iOS GUI's for my solution, the FMGo (12?) App as the FM Client for iOS use to cost

$20.-     iPhone

$40.-     iPad

It was not a wise move to make FMGo free of charge.

$50.-     would be a acceptable price for a FM "Thin Client" (just like Runtime-Application) to run a solution on Mac AND PC

• 7. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                      fmpdude

IMHO, what's SORELY needed, and why I don't use FM for anything other than small personal projects, is the ability to package an APP or EXE without this crazy "all roads lead to ($$$) FMS" model.

In the not so distant past days of Visual FoxPro, an excellent database product, you could create an EXE and distribute it royalty free. Code and data were by default separate. Visual FoxPro was about $500. THAT WAS IT. Nothing more to pay. Ever. At least unless you wanted the new version.

Nowadays, I have to write .NET, Java, or Apple apps to get the same functionality. No database platforms seems to support it any longer.

Of course, since VFP was so popular and cut into sales of SQL Server, and was never a MS product to begin with, MS killed it.

---

What I don't think FM "gets" is that their business "model" actually keeps people FROM buying their products and making project decisions away from their platform. When people get excited with FM finally has UNDO in scripts, you know there's a problem.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                        amysink

fmpdude wrote:

IMHO, what's SORELY needed, and why I don't use FM for anything other than small personal projects, is the ability to package an APP or EXE without this crazy "all roads lead to ($$$) FMS" model.

---

What I don't think FM "gets" is that their business "model" actually keeps people FROM buying their products and making project decisions away from their platform. When people get excited with FM finally has UNDO in scripts, you know there's a problem.

Remember when everyone was begging for FM Lite for Desktop? It's ironic that FileMaker went the other direction and increased the $$$. That's probably why are so many syncing solutions. FM is so expensive that they are using FM Go + sync to make it affordable.

But we still have no idea what will happen to Runtimes...

• 9. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                          Benjamin Fehr

IMHO, what's SORELY needed, and why I don't use FM for anything other than small personal projects,

Sudden changes with licensing models makes FMI a unpredictable partner. I wouldn't start any new project with FileMaker as long as FMI lacks of any sense for sustainability!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                            miler24

I use FileMaker successfully for small to very large solutions, both custom and under SBA license.  FileMaker has continued to be an excellent partner who listens and acts when necessary to our needs.

I'm keenly aware of the hidden and high labor costs associated with using open source technologies.  I've also had advanced discussions with reps from Microsoft Dynamics and Oracle, etc. and have determined their licensing costs to be astronomical.

But, with FileMaker, I can build a cutting edge solution, deploy it anywhere, and scale it reasonably.  Along with specialized licensing and ease of deployment on either Windows or Mac, it's like the swiss army knife of platforms.

In my opinion, if you're unable to figure out how to sell you product without having to resort to using a FileMaker runtime, then either switch to another platform, reassess your business model, or start charging your clients the value of the solution instead of only what you think they can pay.

The runtime is slated for deprecation.  Adapt.

Eric Miller

CEO, DocuWrx

• 11. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                              amysink

Eric Miller wrote:

The runtime is slated for deprecation. Adapt.

"Partners" need information to adapt.

In the locked thread that Benjamin mentioned, OVER A YEAR AGO FileMaker stated:

We’ve heard your comments related to the deprecation of the FileMaker Runtime.

We’d like to remind everyone that the Runtime is supported today and the feature is included in FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced.  And at this time we have set no specific timeframe for it’s removal.

A number of you have described uses of the Runtime such as for commercial applications, for demos, and as part of solutions.  Over the coming weeks we will reach out to various individuals to understand more how you use the Runtime so that we can consider your concerns as we move forward.

FileMaker, Inc.

Where's the information regarding the consideration?

• 12. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                                miler24

As you've indicated, FileMaker has given ample warning about it's intentions.  Since it's still supported in FM15, that will be at least 2 years if not longer.  In the world of software, that's an eternity.

When I had an issue with the FMS15 licensing changes regarding hosting, I contacted numerous FileMaker employees, wrote a letter, engaged in the public webinars, met with staff at their headquarters, etc.  In the end, due to feedback they received from myself and many others, changes were made to support SBA approved solutions.

Have you done the same for your cause?  Have you contacted multiple FileMakers representatives?  Met with them?  Have you provided a convincing argument?  Did you discuss it with them in person at DevCon?  If you don't make the effort, then why is anyone going to think it's a problem that needs a solution?

Don't wait for an invitation.  If a runtime is so absolutely vital to your business, then go and change their minds.

-Eric

• 13. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                                  fmpdude

Yup, I gave up on ever considering FMS with what FMI did with FMS 13+. And, I predict, but have no actual way of knowing, of course, that a FORCED SUBSCRIPTION model will be next for FMP.

I've already migrated my databases either to MySQL, Excel (sigh), or just deleted them. Still using FMP for two of them, but will switch if the FORCED SUBSCRIPTION MODEL comes to pass (as in no other way to get the current software).

Currently hanging on by a thread to using FM at all....(and, like you said, I stopped using FMP for any new projects two years ago due to this uncertainty).

(FMI could care less, I'm sure.)

• 14. Re: Any news on Runtime replacement by FMI?
                                    David Moyer

Hi,

I haven't studied 15's pricing structure.  But I'm getting the impression that FM is becoming less and less viable for start-up businesses.  Is that the case?