2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 7:56 AM by philmodjunk

Moving data files to a different drive and changing folder names

frimages

Hi

FM15 on Windows 10

My data files are on drive 'C' and I want to move all data to internal drive 'D' whilst also changing the folder name. All files are linked by reference.

I have a field showing the full path:

image:DATA/Outlying villages/Aberthin/chs00730 Aberthin map 2007.pdf

imagewin:/C:/CHS Data test files/DATA/Outlying villages/Aberthin/chs00730 Aberthin map 2007.pdf

Is it possible to do a find and replace as follows:

Find - 'C:/CHS Data test files'

and replace with - D:/CHS Data files

or is life with FM not as simple as that?

Thanks in advance

Frank

• 1. Re: Moving data files to a different drive and changing folder names
          mikebeargie

It really depends on how your container data is stored.

Under one of your container fields in File > Manage > Database, go to the "storage" tab. What are the settings there?

Also the settings under File > manage > containers

• 2. Re: Moving data files to a different drive and changing folder names
            philmodjunk

If we are talking about container fields where the "store a reference" option was used to insert each file, then yes, Replace Field Contents using the calculation option could be used to update the file references in each container field just as though it is a text field.

This is not simple and should be attempted on a back up copy of the file so that if it doesn't work you can revert to your original copy.

You can use GetAsText ( YourContainer field Here ) to see the text inside the container field in order to spot the text that serves as the file path to the file and see what kind of text "surgery" you need to do on it in order to achieve this update.