14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 9:54 AM by TSGal

Field right side of the portal auto-resize.

Jean-Francois

Hello

FMA 14 and 15

I don't know how to fully explained myself, I will try with some screen capture.

The portal is set to auto-resize right

In the portal I have some field that can be seen and some that I have put on the right side of the normal layout size.

Then I reduce the size of the portal to fit into the page

In browse mode the layout is now fully extending to the right, so is the portal and it will display the field that was hidden when reducing the portal size.

But I can't edit it, all the other I can. It has nothing to do with permission, allow entry in browse mode...

We can see the filed boundaries when clicking on it (which you don't if the field is set not to edit in browse mode.

I can't get a screen capture of the field boundaries lightening up as it only shows when I click

I notice that behaviour only when the filed inside the portal is right to the layout right line

I know that objects right to the layout line, in the grey zone is not displayed, but in my case it's inside a portal that will auto-resize, and in fact is displayed... but can't be edited...

And NO I can't make the right page line larger as many users still use a smaller window resolution 1024x768 with 22" screen because they are getting older and can't read small screen !!

But manager and owner use a larger screen resolution and I put in those sections, information that only high-ranked employee use.

So is this normal ? orit need to be look in to it ??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
          dtcgnet

I recreated a similar situation, but in my case, the fields in question remained editable. This is happening to you with only the Description field? What happens if you duplicate a different field that you know CAN be edited, and then adjust that into a position similar to the issue you're having with the description field?

• 2. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
            philmodjunk

You say that you can't edit it, but what happens, exactly, when you try?

Can you get the cursor to appear in the field?

Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

Can you put the cursor in the field but nothing happens when you press keys?

• 3. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
              philmodjunk

I clicked "Add Reply" to soon.

I can reproduce what you report in FM 15. It appears that you need at least a small part of the field to be left of the layout border or it will not be editable. You may need to use Get ( WindowWIdth ) to detect the size of the display and change layouts If you cannot include a least a few pixels of the field inside the layout.

• 4. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                Jean-Francois

For testing purpose only I use the same field 3 times and this is what it look like when I select it with draging the mouse.

In browse mode I can edit the 1st and 2nd (even if it's half cut in layout mode)

but the 3rd, I can't get the cursor in, so no error, no typing.

This field have a hover option to outline the field, so all fields are showing the field bounderies when hover, That I can't screen capture it but here's a video.

Dropbox - FM.wmv

You can see that the field can't be edited, I also show that when setting a field with no field entry in browse mode make the outline hover disapear, so it just to demonstrate that my 3rd field is not disable.

I have tried this with old layout, old object, create new objects, new portal... same result.

• 5. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                  philmodjunk

And I get exactly the same results as I previously posted.

• 6. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                    Jean-Francois

Having 2 layouts based on the windowwidth is not a working solution... every small details that I modify in one, need to be redone in the other one !!

Having a pixel in the left section making it impossible to design and have 3-4 more fields in the portal.

I wish we could have position based on calculation !

I'm more pointing as a bad behaviour from FM

I still have a FMA13 and it's doing the same.

I remember seeing a video from Matt Petrowsky that talk about the abaility to hide fields and them with auto-resize are displayed... I no longer have a subscription to ISO Filemaker Magazine so I can't get and see them again

• 7. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                      dtcgnet

I'm on Mac OS 10.11.5 (El Capitan). I still can't reproduce what you and Phil are seeing. If any part of a field (in a portal or not in a portal) is visible, I'm still able to edit it. Just trying to track things down, and perhaps it's related to the OS. I see you're on Windows. Could you post a copy of the file? (Click on the "Use advanced editor" button to attach a database file)

• 8. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                        Jean-Francois

I won't send my file but I did a new one in FMA14 and same result.

Let me know, I have a VMWare runing a Mac, but no FM installed on it, maybe I should get it and test it... but is pointless since I only develop for in house on Win only !!

• 9. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                          dtcgnet

I'm able to replicate the behavior, and I'm seeing exactly what Phil described.

Using point measurements in Inspector and widening your portal so that the field you've placed far to the right of the portal is visible, I can see that it's left edge starts at 542 pixels. If the right hand border of your layout is set at 542 pixels, or more, that field will be editable. But if the right hand border is set to 541 or less, you will see the behavior you're experiencing.

It looks to me like FileMaker knows that the field has been placed outside of the layout border, and even though the visible area of the screen does expand to display the field, FileMaker keeps treating the field as though the field is outside of the layout borders. Interestingly, if you place a field that is NOT in the portal also at 542 with a layout width of 541, you won't even see it, even though the window expands and shows the portal field which is at 542.

Portal Field outside of layout border CAN be seen, but not edited.

Layout table field outside of the border will NOT be seen, and can't be edited manually.

To ensure editability, check the left edge of the field, wherever you've placed it. Make sure the layout border is equal to that measurement, or greater.

Edited...I used "pixels" when I should have been saying "points".

• 10. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                            philmodjunk

I would consider this to be a bug, or at "undocumented behavior" that should be reported over in Report an Issue.

• 11. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                              TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Thank you for your posts.

I am able to replicate the issue.  I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                                TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  Your post has been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                                  Jean-Francois

Hi,

this is an old post... but I just installed FM16 Trial... same problem, it's not fixed yet

• 14. Re: Field right side of the portal auto-resize.
                                    TSGal

Jean-Francois:

I can confirm this issue has not been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.0.1.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.