6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 1:17 PM by philmodjunk

Using "find" with a sub-summary

JillMad

We are tracking daily student tardies at our middle school and are consequencing students who have 4 or more tardies in a 6-week period.  I have created a related table to pull in student tardies each day.  I have created a sub-summary with a summary field of Tardy Totals.  It is correctly calculating total number of for each student when in "Preview," but I can't figure out how to do a Find in this field for students who have 4 or more tardies.  What am I doing wrong?  I appreciate any insight you can give me!

• 1. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
          Johan Hedman

You calculation needs to be a stored calculation to be able to search in the field, it can not be a summary field. Summary fields is only To show

• 2. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
            JillMad

Hi,

That makes sense.  Is there a way to get my tardy summary total from this layout and turn it into a searchable field in my other table? I don't want to define a calculation where I have to include each day's tardy totals.  This is what I did last year and it was way too difficult.  Example:  9/2/16 + 9/3/16 + 9/4/16.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jill

• 3. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
              philmodjunk

Actually, an unstored calculation may be acceptable and is simpler to set up. If you find that it is too slow, you can then try using alternative methods that take a bit more work but produce a stored value.

If you have this relationship:

Students::__pkStudentID = Tardies::_fkStudentID

A calculation field in Students can be defined as Count ( Tardies::_fkStudentID ) is an unstored but searchable and sortable field.

One way to get a stored count is to set up a script that creates a new record in Tardies to log the student tardy and that then adds 1 to a number field in Students to show the current tardy count. You then also need to deduct 1 from this field any time that you delete a record from tardies--say to correct an error or to excuse a tardy.

• 4. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
                JillMad

You solved my problem!  This worked great.  Thank you so much!

• 5. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
                  JillMad

Okay, this has been working great all term.  However, now I need to start a new list for the next term.  How can I turn this field into a stored number so I know how many tardies a student had the first term?

• 6. Re: Using "find" with a sub-summary
                    philmodjunk

I believe that you asked this question in a new thread and I answered it there.

You can copy the value--by script of manually into a number field to save it as a stored value.