13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 12:38 AM by iceman7

Insert PDF into Container Field

lylacinc

FileMaker Pro 15.0.2

Windows 7

Insert PDF script step is not working.

Client upgraded this AM to FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 and now the Insert PDF script step is no longer working. 

Debugging the script I get an error 3:  Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)

I tested in FileMaker 15.0.1 (Windows 10) and it works fine.  I advised the client to roll back, and it is now working fine on her machine. 

• 1. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
          TSGal

lylacinc:

Thank you for your post.

Under FileMaker Pro 15.0.2, was the user able to manually Insert PDF?  If yes, post the script that is causing the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
            lylacinc

Hi TSGal:

No, the user cannot manually Insert PDF.  That option is now grey.

I tested the scripts and manually inserting PDF files using 14 & 15.0.1 and all worked as expected.  I advised the client to roll back to 15.0.1 for now.

• 3. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
              TSGal

lylacinc:

Do you have any plug-ins installed/enabled?

What version of Adobe Reader do you have installed?

Have you tried installing the full version of FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 (through your original electronic download email)?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                lylacinc

Good Morning TSGal:

Checked with client.  

1.  No plugins installed.  
                2.  Adobe:  11.0.17  
                3.  No, have not tried installing full version of FileMaker 15.0.2 through download email.    (He upgraded to FileMaker 15 a few months ago.  Would his downlaod link still be active?)   He upgraded by clicking on the prompt when opening FileMaker.

I additionally had trouble, but realized I am on a new Windows 10 laptop and there was No Adobe Reader installed.  I have just installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2015.017.20050

I can reinstall 15.0.2 via Check for Updates if you would like me to test to see if there is still a problem. Just an FYI, In addition to the insert PDF not working, it was giving a message saying it could not create the PDF file.  It's the error message saying it cannot be created on the disk, etc.

Thanks,

Lynda

• 5. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                  TSGal

lylacinc:

I just installed Windows 10 on a machine, and I installed the full version of FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.  I launched FileMaker Pro 15.0.2, created a new database file with a Container field set for Interactive content.  When I try to insert a PDF, the menu item is not available, so I know Adobe Acrobat is not installed.  I therefore quit FileMaker Pro, downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  Once installed, I relaunched FileMaker Pro, opened the database file, put my cursor in the Container field and Insert now has "PDF" available.

Since your copy of FileMaker Pro is not recognizing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, try switching to another Windows users account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new database file with a Container field, set the field for Interactive content, add a record, put your cursor in the Container field, pull down the Insert menu and see if PDF is available.  If not, then I would try reinstalling Adobe Acrobat, as this should write the files to the appropriate places in the Windows operating system.  If it still doesn't work after that, then reinstall FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                    lylacinc

I uninstalled FileMaker, installed Adobe, then installed FileMaker 15.0.2 and all is working.   I will instruct my client to do the same.

Thank you!

Lynda

• 7. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                      lylacinc

Just an update on this.  I just logged into my client's system to help with something, and I am again having the issue again as noted above although it had appeared to be resolved.  I have not made any changes on my laptop since I last reported that the issue was resolved 2 weeks ago.   

I also opened a local version of my client's database just to test it locally, and received the error message trying to create a pdf and subsequently insert that pd container a PDF file.

I have not changed anything on my computer (unless there was an auto update).   But for now, I'm just going to roll back to 15.0.1 so that I can assist my client.

I never did tell my client to do the upgrade to 15.0.2, so they haven't  reported any problems.

Lynda

• 8. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                        dtsvirinko

I have the same issue as described in the above thread. I'm using FileMaker 15.0.1 on Windows 7. I get Error Code 3 when using script step Insert PDF. I switched to script step Insert File and the error does not occur.

The PDF option in Insert menu is greyed out, however if I drag in a PDF file into the container field it takes it fine.

I have not tried updating to version 15.0.2.

David.

• 9. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                          TSGal

dtsvirinko:

Is the Container field formatted for interactive content?  If so, then be sure to install Adobe Acrobat Reader.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                            dtsvirinko

The container field is not formatted for interactive content. Perhaps that's the reason Insert PDF script step was failing.

Thank you!

David.

• 11. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                              iceman7

I had a horrible time today trying to get insert PDF to work. Spent almost two hours trying things. No matter what I kept getting error 100.

The instant I switched to Insert File....it worked fine. But of course now the PDF won't live preview.

To regain the viewable/interactivity of the PDF I employed TeamDF's custom function, 

Link:

Change Containers from Files to Interactive Content in an Instant

• 12. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                                Fred(CH)

Hi, i think the insert file step include an option to show content when possible that should do what you are expecting. But concerning the original issue, is the path beginning by the prefix "file:" or "image:" ?

Bye, Fred

• 13. Re: Insert PDF into Container Field
                                  iceman7

Fred, Ah...that was it...I should have been using "imagemac" prefix. I do have it working perfectly w/my workaround so I may or may not go back and change it. (probably will in the morning just to keep the script lighter)

I am grateful to have learned a bit about that custom function and base64 as I can use it to re-work some legacy PDFs.

I sure think FileMaker Inc should include that in it's technical reference page on file paths.

Thanks.