4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2016 11:07 AM by TSGal

Check for Updates… incompatible with "close-by-quitting"

mrwatson-gbs

Issue (FMP 15.0.1)

Our Custom App (read: "database")

• proudly already has the new Check for Updates… command in the (custom) help menu
      • finds and downloads the new 15.0.2 update 
      • presents the feedback dialogue....
        • Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.14.43.png
      • which is a problem, because our app closes by using the Quit Application script step.

That means, when I "close" the database => it causes the installation to be canceled.

After starting FMP again, the update was clearly not finished: STILL 15.0.1

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.23.06.png

Note: Our app is a multi-file solution and it MUST quit, because closing the files individually sometimes end up in an endless loop, because closed files get reopened via references from closing files.

Can the Update process be changed to accommodate this?

E.g. Maybe in this situation FMP could ASK the user if they want to cancel or continue the installation?

• 1. Re: Check for Updates… incompatible with "close-by-quitting"
          TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

At this time, the updater cannot determine closing FileMaker scripts will exit the application.  Therefore, after quitting, launch FileMaker Pro (without selecting a file) and run the update.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Check for Updates… incompatible with "close-by-quitting"
            mrwatson-gbs

At this time, the updater cannot determine closing FileMaker scripts will exit the application.  Therefore, after quitting, launch FileMaker Pro (without selecting a file) and run the update.

Thanks for the info, TSGal.

In other words:

- All custom apps / database solutions that close-by-quitting can forget having an Update menu item, because it just won't work.

- The alternative would be for the app to change its method of closing,… however our database - and many databases - MUST close by quitting, because quitting-by-closing-windows-one-after-another often gets into an infinite loop, as windows reopen due to file references in not yet closed/closing windows.

Maybe FMI need to take a look at the problem of closing FileMaker databases successfully, and maybe provide a solution, such as a new script step option:

Close Window

which changes the closing algorithm, so that windows close WITHOUT being allowed to refresh / reopen files.

Good Idea?

MrWatson

• 3. Re: Check for Updates… incompatible with "close-by-quitting"
              TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

Thank you for your comments.  I have sent your comments to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Check for Updates… incompatible with "close-by-quitting"
                TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  Your posts have been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.