3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 4:59 PM by philmodjunk

Hierarchy Portals in a Slider

ezeitgeist

I'm trying to create a hierarchy set of portals in a slider.

Slider 1: Portal of ALL Goals from a User

Slider 2: Portal of ALL KeySteps from a particular Goal of a User

I am trying to get so that when I click on one of the Goals in Slider 1, I am brought to Slider 2 and the portal filters to JUST the KeySteps for the Goal that was selected.

I can jump between Slider 1 and 2 with a script easily with GoToObject. What is the way to filter the portal by the selected Goal? I've created a gGoal field that I can

I've created a gGoal field that I can use in a filter to set the filter, I'm pretty sure. But how do I get the Goal selected in Slider 1 to be placed into the global field?

• 1. Re: Hierarchy Portals in a Slider
          philmodjunk
          But how do I get the Goal selected in Slider 1 to be placed into the global field?

Either make the fields in the portal row into a button, over lay them with a transparent button or put a button next to them in the portal row.

Have that button perform this script:

Set Field [YourTable::gGoal ; YourPOrtalTable::Goal ]

Go to object [Slider Panel object name here]

Refresh Portal [put object name of portal on second panel here ]

This assumes that you used a portal fitler on the second panel. you can also use your global field as a match field to a different occurrence of your keysteps table and base your keysteps portal on that table occurrence to avoid the need for a portal filter and to eliminate the need for Refresh Portal.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hierarchy Portals in a Slider
            ezeitgeist

I want to be able to edit the KeySteps in the Slider portal, so my understanding is the second occurrence would hinder that.

I have a Goals Table and a KeySteps Table. Slider 1 portal is based on Goals Table, Slider 2 portal is based on KeySteps Table.

Is this what you are saying:

Set Field [Globals::gGoal_ID ; Goals::Goal_ID]

and then the refresh will do the trick sine I filtered using the KeySteps::Goal_ID = Globals::gGoal_ID.

I guess I'm confused, how does it know to use the right Goals::Goal_ID? Does it automatically know because it is in the portal row? That makes sense, but for some reason is bothering me.

#RubeQuestion

• 3. Re: Hierarchy Portals in a Slider
              philmodjunk

The second occurrence will not hinder editing the key steps.

The trick behind the set field script is that it's performed from a button inside the portal row. The mouse click on the button puts the focus on a specific portal row as well as performing the script. It's the focus on the portal row that selects the goal.