9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 4:35 PM by rmertzic

FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?

rmertzic

Am I correct in my understanding that FileMaker Cloud does not come with FileMaker Pro (for user connections) licenses and is only compatible with FMP, Webdirect, and FM Go?

Am I correct in my understanding that FileMaker Server does come with FileMaker Pro (for user connections) licenses and is the same price as FileMaker Cloud?

FileMaker Licensing for Individuals FAQ | FileMaker

Compare FileMaker Cloud with FileMaker Server

• 1. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
          jonmyrah

FM Cloud does include Pro (for user connections). If you buy licensing direct from the Amazon Marketplace you get to "choose from 5, 10, 25, or 100 user connections" and "each user can access FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Go, or FileMaker WebDirect." ... I haven't gone through the process yet to know where you get the installer from.

If you use the BYOL option you can convert an existing annual FLT license, so you would already have the installer for FMPUC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
            TSPigeon

rmertzic:

Thank you for your post!

jonmyrah has the right idea about FileMaker Cloud and the for User Connections. It works pretty much identically to the FileMaker Server for User Connections. Also, your installers will be available from the Admin Console with FileMaker Cloud.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
              wimdecorte

jonmyrah wrote:

FM Cloud does include Pro (for user connections). If you buy licensing direct from the Amazon Marketplace you get to "choose from 5, 10, 25, or 100 user connections" and "each user can access FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Go, or FileMaker WebDirect." ... I haven't gone through the process yet to know where you get the installer from.

Once you have access to the FM Cloud admin console, there is a download link there for the FMP.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                rmertzic

Great. Now it makes sense. I was wondering why FileMaker Server for Developers included a connection for FMPUC if the only way to get FMPUC was to purchase FileMaker for Teams. With an hourly subscription to FileMaker Cloud and FileMaker Server for Developers we should have all the tools we need to do testing.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                  srzuch

I am confused.

I thought FileMaker Server for Developers ("FSD") can not be used in the FileMaker Cloud, even if you elect the Bring Your Own License ("BYOL") option.  However, you can sign up for the free Amazon cloud tier (good for a year) and install FSD, but you don't get the ease of implementation of FileMaker Cloud.

Correct?

Steven

• 6. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                    jonmyrah

You are correct Steven, FSD is NOT compatible as a BYOL option for FileMaker Cloud. FileMaker Cloud BYOL requires a minimum 5 user FLT or AVLA license.

You can still setup an AWS Windows instance to run FileMaker Server, but that is not the same as FileMaker Cloud. That would be the same as running FileMaker Server on your own hardware, just hosted by Amazon.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                      wimdecorte

srzuch wrote:

I am confused.

I thought FileMaker Server for Developers ("FSD") can not be used in the FileMaker Cloud, even if you elect the Bring Your Own License ("BYOL") option.

Yes, we shouldn't get confused... I was talking about spinning up an AWS EC2 Windows instance and installing the FDS license on it.

FMCloud is a linux, pre-built FMS instance and a totally different beast.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                        srzuch

Jonmyrah and Wimdecorte ... thanks for the responses.

I am still getting my feet wet with FileMaker (hope to be moving from Microsoft Access/VBA).   Plan is to get through the FTS and then will install FSD on an spare MacBook.  Also need to upgrade to FMP Advance 15 from 14, but in no rush until a few more versions.

After two rotator cuff surgeries and turning 63 ... progress has been slow .

Steve

• 9. Re: FileMaker Cloud connect to FMPUC?
                          rmertzic

I have made feature request for FileMaker Cloud for Developer. Please upvote.

https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/2144#comment-18317