2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 2:28 PM by scottworld

    Strange "record number 0" bug -- cannot reproduce at the moment

    scottworld

      So here's something extremely odd which happened to me yesterday, but I cannot reproduce this problem at the moment.

       

      This is the first time I’ve ever seen anything like this. I’m running FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1 on OS X 10.11.6, connected to a database on a remote FileMaker Server running FileMaker Server 15.0.1 on Windows Server 2012R2.

       

      Please see screenshot below, and then the description of this weird issue is below the screenshot.

       

      Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.11.47 PM.png

       

      I started off with 152 records in my found set in browse mode. Then, I went into layout mode to edit the layout.

       

      After editing the layout, I came back into browse mode (sorry, I can’t remember if I saved my layout changes or not), and as soon as I went back into browse mode, suddenly the toolbar showed me that I was on Record #0 out of a found set of 152 records! All my fields were empty, and I couldn’t click into any of the fields either!

       

      The button on the toolbar to move to the next record didn’t work at all… it would let me click on it, but it didn’t do anything. Also, it let me click into the little record number box that has the number 0, but it wouldn't let me type in any numbers into that box. It just displayed the number 0, even if I was typing numbers on my keyboard into that box (in other words, it was ignoring my keyboard input altogether).

       

      So basically, I was completely “stuck” on Record #0.

       

      Then, I went into the Data Viewer:

      I typed Get (RecordNumber) into the Data Viewer, and it also returned the number 0 to me!

      I typed Get (FoundCount) into the Data Viewer, and it returned 152 to me!

      Very strange.

       

      I ended up just closing the window altogether, while still connected remotely to that same database in another window (i.e. in other words, this is a multi-window solution that I am working in here). When I went back into that exact same layout in browse mode in a brand new window, everything was fine again. Everything was back to normal.

       

      I also ran FileMaker's full recovery process on this entire file ("File > Recover") just to see what FileMaker would say about this file, and FileMaker said that absolutely no problems were found in the file and that it is safe to use.

       

      Any ideas about this weird strangeness? I wonder if I’ve stumbled into some sort of weird/obscure bug with the FM15 family of products?

       

      Thanks,

      Scott

        • 1. Re: Strange "record number 0" bug -- cannot reproduce at the moment
          TSGal

          scottworld:

           

          Thank you for your post and screen shot.

           

          I have not encountered this issue before, and I'm well aware this doesn't help you.

           

          When this issue occurred, was the file local or hosted?  If hosted, is it possible other clients were accessing the file?  My initial thought was the record you originally accessed before going to Layout mode was deleted by one of the other clients, but I was unable to replicate.

           

          If this occurs again, write down the steps leading up to the issue.  Also, see if "Show All Records" moves you to a non-zero record, and then perform Modify Last Find to see if the issue replicates.

           

          Any other information you can provide would be helpful, as I don't have enough information to submit to Development and Testing.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc.

          • 2. Re: Strange "record number 0" bug -- cannot reproduce at the moment
            scottworld

            Thanks for the great ideas, TSGal

             

            I didn't even think of trying "Show All Records" when this happened, but I will definitely try that next time. I will also try Modifying the Last Find to see if the issue replicates.

             

            When this issue occurred, the file was hosted on FileMaker Server 15.0.1 on Windows Server 2012R2.

             

            I do not believe that anybody else was accessing the system at the time, because I did this in the middle of the night. Also, none of the other users have deletion privileges in the system, so if someone was accessing the system, they wouldn't have been able to delete the record.

             

            Very strange... I'll keep you posted with many more details if this happens again in the future.

             

            Thanks for your ideas!