5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 6:29 AM by scottworld

FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step

riazahmedsg

In script step "Speak" does not allow to specify any text or table field data.

It has played havoc with my work. My clients are very unhappy with this situation.

It seems this release was not properly tested

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step
          TSGal

riazahmedsg:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 running under Mac OS X 10.11.6.  When I add the "Speak" script step, I can click on the gear icon and the Speak Options window appears, where I can enter text or a field.

Let me know the steps you are taking so I can try to replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 11.53.24 AM.png

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step
            riazahmedsg

Hi,

This bug exists for windows 7 platform.

It does exist

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Best Regards,

Riaz Ahmed (CSQA)

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step
              TSGal

riazahmedsg:

Speak is only a Mac OS X script step, so it isn't available for Windows.  See the help topic below:

FileMaker Pro 15 Help

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step
                riazahmedsg

Hi

What you saying is correct.

But it must not stop me from doing development work on windows 7 for mac

platform.

Follow these steps:

On windows machine

1. Create a new script

2. select Macintosh from compatibility.

3. Search for speak script step.

4. Double click speak script step so that it is displayed in script body

5. verify the bug

Hopefully, my point is clear & this bug will gets fixed.

This problem has surfaced only first time in Filemaker Pro 15.0.2

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Best Regards,

Riaz Ahmed (CSQA)

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 Bug -- Speak script step
                  scottworld

This actually isn't a bug... this is the way that FileMaker has always operated in all versions of FileMaker, going back many decades. It seems like the FileMaker engineers made a conscious (albeit partially inconsistent) decision to design it this way:

1. Windows users are not allowed to edit the Mac-only script steps of "Speak" and "Perform AppleScript".

2. Mac users are not allowed to edit the Windows-only script step of "Send DDE Execute".

(In versions 11 and earlier of FileMaker, Mac users couldn't even SEE the "Send DDE Execute" script step and Windows users couldn't even SEE the "Perform AppleScript" script step.)

However, this decision does seem partially inconsistent, since the following item is ALSO true:

3. Mac users ARE allowed to edit the Windows-only script step of "Dial Phone". Although, this might be because the "Dial Phone" script step used to be compatible with both Mac and Windows, but then was removed from the Mac version in later versions of FileMaker.

I do agree that it would be a totally consistent experience for "Speak", "Perform AppleScript", and "Send DDE Execute" to be editable on both platforms, even if they only work on one platform. You may want to add this as a feature request on the Product Ideas forum at Product Ideas. Although my guess is that this will probably be treated as a low priority, since the easy solution is to simply edit those script steps on the platform where you will be deploying the solution.