In script step "Speak" does not allow to specify any text or table field data.
It has played havoc with my work. My clients are very unhappy with this situation.
It seems this release was not properly tested
Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 running under Mac OS X 10.11.6. When I add the "Speak" script step, I can click on the gear icon and the Speak Options window appears, where I can enter text or a field.
Let me know the steps you are taking so I can try to replicate the issue.
This bug exists for windows 7 platform.
It does exist
Hoping to hear from you soon!
Riaz Ahmed (CSQA)
Speak is only a Mac OS X script step, so it isn't available for Windows. See the help topic below:
FileMaker Pro 15 Help
What you saying is correct.
But it must not stop me from doing development work on windows 7 for mac
Follow these steps:
On windows machine
1. Create a new script
2. select Macintosh from compatibility.
3. Search for speak script step.
4. Double click speak script step so that it is displayed in script body
5. verify the bug
Hopefully, my point is clear & this bug will gets fixed.
This problem has surfaced only first time in Filemaker Pro 15.0.2
This actually isn't a bug... this is the way that FileMaker has always operated in all versions of FileMaker, going back many decades. It seems like the FileMaker engineers made a conscious (albeit partially inconsistent) decision to design it this way:
1. Windows users are not allowed to edit the Mac-only script steps of "Speak" and "Perform AppleScript".
2. Mac users are not allowed to edit the Windows-only script step of "Send DDE Execute".
(In versions 11 and earlier of FileMaker, Mac users couldn't even SEE the "Send DDE Execute" script step and Windows users couldn't even SEE the "Perform AppleScript" script step.)
However, this decision does seem partially inconsistent, since the following item is ALSO true:
3. Mac users ARE allowed to edit the Windows-only script step of "Dial Phone". Although, this might be because the "Dial Phone" script step used to be compatible with both Mac and Windows, but then was removed from the Mac version in later versions of FileMaker.
I do agree that it would be a totally consistent experience for "Speak", "Perform AppleScript", and "Send DDE Execute" to be editable on both platforms, even if they only work on one platform. You may want to add this as a feature request on the Product Ideas forum at Product Ideas. Although my guess is that this will probably be treated as a low priority, since the easy solution is to simply edit those script steps on the platform where you will be deploying the solution.
Retrieving data ...