13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 4:01 PM by kikid

Font views as little boxes?

kikid

We just upgraded from Filemaker Pro 11 to Pro 15, using Apple OS 10.11 on an iMac.

In Version 15 the font Times (regular) views OK in browse mode, but shows as little boxes in preview mode and prints the little boxes.

The font Times italic and bold, both print and view OK in Version 15. Filemaker Pro 11 is still loaded on the computer and it views and prints Times regular OK. It is just in Filemaker Pro 15 that there is a issue with the one font Times regular, italic and bold both print and view ok. (This is not New Times Roman or any other version of Times). Any ideas on how to solve this issue besides changing the font?

• 1. Re: Font views as little boxes?
          TSPigeon

kikid:

Thank you for your post!

Moving from FileMaker Pro 11 to 15, have you updated your Layout Theme yet or are the Layouts still using the Classic "Theme"? You might try updating the theme on existing layouts or creating a new layout to see if the issue persists.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Font views as little boxes?
            kikid

Thank you for responding so quickly, but that changes the layout, it didn't effect the font issue.

• 3. Re: Font views as little boxes?
              TSPigeon

kikid:

Thank you for trying that for us. If you could provide a little more information:

-What Operating System are you installed on? (OS X 10.10, Windows 7, etc.)

-What Fonts are being used?

-Is this an issue with all fonts?

-Does this issue occur in a new file?

-Are you updated to FileMaker Pro 15.0.2?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                kikid

Mac OS 10.11

Filemaker Pro 15.02.220

With just Times Regular, not italic or bold.

Yes occurs in a new file.

• 5. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                  TSPigeon

kikid:

I was unable to reproduce this issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.11 or 10.12. To attempt to reproduce I followed these steps:

1. Created "test.fmp12" (using default enlightened theme)

2. Create Text Object and Field applying the "Times" font to both

3. Created new record and entered sample data

4. Entered Preview Mode

*Everything looked good

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 2.05.33 PM.png

You might try Restoring standard fonts in Font Book and testing a New User on the Mac Machine.

If you have any further information necessary to reproduce please let me know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                    kikid

Font Book indicates there are multiple copies of the Times font on the computer. So I will manually remove the additional and see if that helps.

Thank you for trying to duplicate the incident.

• 7. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                      keywords

Re; "Any ideas on how to solve this issue besides changing the font?"

I don't think you will solve it any other way. The boxes indicate font substitution which means the font in use is either corrupted or unavailable. Use Font Book or Font Doctor or some other font management tool to clean up your fonts before you worry further about FM.

• 8. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                        David Moyer

Hi,

just another angle ... can you get away with a  different font?  I use Ariel (formerly Helvetica) for everything.  It's supposed to be the most cross-platform compatible font for FM.  (Please, somebody, correct me if I'm wrong about this - thanks.)

• 9. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                          David Moyer

Due to a Jive bug (under investigation), I can't edit my posts.

I wasn't referring to the Little Mermaid font.  I meant the Arial font.

• 10. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                            kikid

No I need to use the Times font. Changing the font will change all the formatting. But thanks for the input.

• 11. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                              kikid

I agree and plan to run some tests tomorrow after getting rid of the duplicate fonts in Font Book. The computers were in use today so I couldn't work on them. Thanks for answering.

• 12. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                                user27087

I am having the same or similar problem with a Windows 7 machine, FileMaker 15.01 and 15.02. The font in my case is Code 128.

It shows properly in browse mode at 100%, but becomes Arial when printing, Arial when previewing, and blocks when sent to PDF.

Oddly, I can view the proper font (bar codes) while browsing at 100%, but if I change the view to any other size, they become Arial. This happens in layout view as well. Not sure if they are related, but when you have a moment please check to see if changing % makes a change.

• 13. Re: Font views as little boxes?
                                  kikid

It's fixed!

Thank you TS Pigeon for suggesting I look in Font Book.

There were multiple copies of the Times Font. I used the resolve manually to disable the multiple copies that were highlighted. That still left two Times fonts on. Under the File menu there is a "Validate" font function, which i ran on the two remaining fonts. The TT font failed, the dfont was OK. Under the Edit menu I was able to disable the TT font.

That took care of the issue.