8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 7:29 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing

sq

Crashes a lot when going to layout mode.  Maybe a day without a crash. Then starts crashing every 10 minutes.

Different files, different ways.

Sometimes crashes when opening a popup and leaving it open then click edit layout.

Sometimes after going to a layout by clicking a button then switching to layout mode.

Crazy after all the reports of FM 14 crashing that Filemaker has not fixed this issue.

Databases should never crash. v13 and before was stable. BTY, i have been using

FM since Claris days.

Not sure if updating to FM 15 would solve the problem, but why should I trust Filemaker if they won't fix bugs like this?

Updating from os 10.9.5 to 10.11.6 did not help this issue. so not an OS thing.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
          wimdecorte

sq wrote:

Updating from os 10.9.5 to 10.11.6 did not help this issue. so not an OS thing.

If you don't have the crashes when you create a new account on your machine then there is something in your profile that contributes to the instability.

Clearly FM14 does not crash for everyone as you describe it.  I know it doesn't for me and the guys that work with me.

When you look at the crash logs, it always reporting the same thing?

• 2. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
            sq

one shows for filemaker "service exited due to signal: Segmentation fault: 11"

no idea what that means.

also have this repeating a lot.

FileMaker Pro: Cocoa scripting error for '0x000000__': four character codes must be four characters long.

also this:

FileMaker Pro: .sdef warning for type 'list' attribute 'ID' of class 'cell' in suite 'Subset of the Core, Table, and Database suites': AppleScript ID references may not work for this property because its type is not NSNumber- or NSString-derived.

(was not running AS, not sure what referencing AS)

crash log is long and not sure how figure out what caused the crashes.

Filemaker 12 and Filemaker 13 do not do this.  I can open all the files in FM 13 and not have any crashes.

Maybe FM 14 has an issue with some other app, but still that is a bug with FM 14.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
              fmpdude

FileMaker 14 is rock solid on Mac. I've never had a crash, ever.

Same can be said with 13, 12, and my first ever version, 11.

(on the mac, anyway)

• 4. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
                sq

FM 14 and FM 15 are not rock solid on the mac.  Look at all the reports of crashing.  FM use to be rock solid before FM 14.  FM 3 to FM 13 no problem.  It is possible you are not doing anything advanced so you don't have the issue.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
                  fmpdude

I can only say that FMP 14 has NEVER, EVER, crashed on me.

From my perspective, FMP is very solid on Mac OS, but others may have different configurations. I'm using 10.12.3.

I only use the free BE plug-in however and another small plug-in I wrote myself.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
                    philmodjunk

If you create and work with a completely new file, do you see the same crashing?

If a brand new file is stable, that suggests an issue with your file(s) instead of the application.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
                      sq

i have created super minimal file with no crash. i have created new files with all the custom functions and script and eventually they start crashing.  still should not crash no matter how many custom functions, scripts, tables or layouts.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Advanced 14.0.6 Crashing
                        philmodjunk

Yes but crashes can corrupt a file and a corrupted file can crash so it's important to rule out those possibilities. Likewise, crashing can be caused by a plug in that was either not correctly written or that is not compatible with the current version.