1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 2:08 PM by Malcolm

Data Erased in Table But Records Remain

WayneForrest

I just suddenly lost all data in one table within my database but yet all the records remain.

The other tables seem intact.

The data did stay in one field, the index field for company ID  (a numeric field)

The table has about 2300 records in it.

Any ideas about how this happened and recovery suggestions would be appreciated.

Wayne

• 1. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
          Johan Hedman

Do you have a backup? If so have a look at that file as soon as possible

If you dont, then try to rebuild Index for

Skärmavbild 2016-09-30 kl. 21.24.11.png

Set to None, click OK and Save changes.

• 2. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
            philmodjunk

And it would be helpful to describe/show why you think all records are there but the data isn't. It might be something that is merely creating the illusion that the data is missing.

And there's another way to rebuild indexes. The above method rebuilds a single index and that might do the trick. But you can use advanced recover options to rebuild all the indexes in a file in one process.

Open FileMaker without opening the file.

Select Recover from the file menu

Select "advanced options"

Select

Copy File Blocks "as is"

Rebuild Indexes Now

While I usually do not attempt to put a recovered file back into production if I can help it, this is my one exception. Since the file itself is not modified except for rebuilt indexes. The result obtained here would be identical to importing all your data into a clone of your file--but with many fewer steps if you have a lot of tables in the same file.

• 3. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
              keywords

Is it possible that someone used the Replace Field Contents command at some stage? If someone, say, intended to delete the contents of a field on single record and used this approach to do it, it would have deleted all contents from all records in the found set.

• 4. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                BruceRobertson

Have you done any recent imports?

What would probably be best is to find a way to let a skilled outsider take a look at your file or a copy of your file.

• 5. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                  WayneForrest

Each of the records has a Company ID field:  it still has data, but all the other fields do not.

I tried your reindex method but it didn’t work

Wayne

• 6. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                    cortical

I had a couple of similar sounding occurrences a year ago. In different databases on different systems. The records appeared to be there but ? in all the fields

A single record turned out to be the pivotal culprit, in both instances, and index corruption.

From memory, the record count indicator was one less than (? or one more) the last primary key value in one of the databases; which was only helpful because there weren't any deleted records ( could establish that looking at backups), so it did help at the time in terms of indicating there was a problematic record, and eventually identifying it.

I mention the record count as it may be useful, in comparing a backup to the live data, up to a common last record.

Working on a copy, I would first export all records from the table as a merge file, just to see if the data is actually still there; probably not but worth a look.

Delete all records from the file copy table, close the file, quit FileMaker, re-open the copy then import from the back up, cross check the record counts.

there are a few other things that can be done to investigate problem records.

Basically it is probably an indexing issue, as others have indicated, but it may be file based.

Despite repeating delete and import processes on one of my problem files last year, the problem re-occured, and I eventually replaced the file with a good clone and reimported all data.

As Bruce suggested, probably a good idea to get an experienced dev to have  a look.

• 7. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                      gdurniak

If the file is "corrupt", anything is possible

Run Recover,  and check the Recover Log for any changes.  It might provide a clue

I once had a large file that reported "Records: 0",  and went blank,  yet the data was there

greg

PS

"Delete all records" alone won't help.  Make a Clone, if you need to re-import

> I just suddenly lost all data in one table within my database but yet all the records remain

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                        WayneForrest

Know any skilled person?

Wayne Forrest

• 9. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                          gdurniak

Please also contact FileMaker Tech Support

They need to be aware of problems like this ( and may be able to quickly confirm if all your data is really gone )

Which Version of FileMaker are you using ?

greg

> Know any skilled person ?

• 10. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                            alquimby

Does the table have a modification timestamp field? If it does, and it shows all records were last modified at the same time, that might give you a clue.

• 11. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                              WayneForrest

Thanks

I have FM 12 pro

• 12. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                                gofmp15

The layout may be corrupt, not the table. You may have created the layout using a TO that was delected.

Double click on any field that doesn't show data and see if the correct table and field show up as selected. If not you can redirect the fields to the correct TO. Sometimes we create form layouts from the non master TO and delete that TO.

Have you created a Table Layout and if not do so. Does that show the data in the fields? If so, the layout in question is probably corrupt.

Use a copy of the file and open the layout in layout mode. Do a select all and cut all the fields. Now save the layout out. Paste the cut data back into the layout and position it to fit correctly. Now enter browse mode. Does the data appear?

Can you drag any field onto the layout and have its data appear in browse mode?

IF the data shows in a new table layout and not the layout in question consider one of these options (or others)

• Test these ideas on a copy of the table
                                • Create a new table layout and verify the data
                                • You can repoint the fields to the correct table if the TO was deleted
                                • You need to create a new layout from scratch.
                                • You can select all and cut the objects on the layout, save it and then paste everything back onto the layout
                                • Use the recover ideas mentioned above
                                • 13. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                                  philmodjunk

Note the wide ranging "guesses" as to what may have happened. This is largely due to the fact that you have said very little about your database, what happened exactly and what you see in the database that leads you to believe that your records are still there but the data is gone. One of the very first posts here suggested a back up--ultimately back up copies are your most important way to protect data integrity.

• 14. Re: Data Erased in Table But Records Remain
                                    WayneForrest

More detail:  I do have a backup copy.  

But its a not completely up to date.

Since my assistant works on the database its hard for me to know what if anythingshe did.  I have a database with many tables.  Two tables are the core: contacts and organizations.  The key or common field is "Contact ID".  The organization table has what I estimate to be the same number of records (2374) as it did before the data loss.  Only the Contact ID field still has information in it.  

Its possible that the computer was improperly shut down while the database was open.

I do use Outlook Manipulator plug in (pulls in email)

Wayne Forrest

1 2 Previous Next