11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 11:22 AM by philmodjunk

Editing a Field's contents in Table View

VictoriaHerring

Generally I enter data in Browse mode but I am preferring to do so in Table View - I have a Dropdown list [or checkbox set - I couldn't get the dropdown to work right so selected Checkbox, which will do ok] and I want to be able to add checks while in Table view, not just in Browse.  Can't find where to do that or how to.  So, I have 6 checkboxes and in Table view one item needs to have 2 Xs entered = I can do it in Browse but not in Table.  How do I enter data in Table view easily.

• 1. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
          philmodjunk

Sorry but table view is used in browse or find mode like the other views. But if you want to set up a field to use a value list then:

enter layout mode.

If the field cannot be found in layout mode, add it to the layout.

Then use the inspector's data tab to select value list options.

• 2. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
            VictoriaHerring

Thanks = that’s what I did and I did it again - in layout, added the field  to the ‘form’ and it shows up in that view in Browse, but the added field [and its dropdown contents - which do show up in the main Browse view  do not show up in either the list or Table view — I want the same ability to do a dropdown of contents in Table view as in the Card view but it’s not working. 

On Oct 3, 2016, at 12:23 PM, philmodjunk <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote:Sorry but table view is used in browse or find mode like the other views. But if you want to set up a field to use a value list then:

enter layout mode.

If the field cannot be found in layout mode, add it to the layout.

Then use the inspector's data tab to select value list options.

>

• 3. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
              philmodjunk

If you've added the field while in layout mode and it's not off the right hand edge of the layout nor "hidden" via Hide object when or something then the field MUST be visible when that same layout is viewed in List View. It usually will be visible when the same layout is switched to table view, but use of the modify button can hide it or a column width can be made so narrow that it isn't visible. If the field does not appear in table view even though you've added it to the body of the layout while in layout mode, use the modify button to make it appear.

We are talking about a single layout here correct?

• 4. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                VictoriaHerring

The field is in Table view - but it doesn’t allow me to use checkbox fill in or drop down selection from a value list - the field is defined as using the value list and it is fine in Browser view but not in table, which is the issue - so if I want to put inXs in checkboxes, I can do the in the Form view fine but if I switch to the Table view I cannot

If you've added the field while in layout mode and it's not off the right hand edge of the layout nor "hidden" via Hide object when or something then the field MUST be visible when that same layout is viewed in List View. It usually will be visible when the same layout is switched to table view, but use of the modify button can hide it or a column width can be made so narrow that it isn't visible. If the field does not appear in table view even though you've added it to the body of the layout while in layout mode, use the modify button to make it appear.

We are talking about a single layout here correct?

• 5. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                  philmodjunk

Please download and open the attached file. It has a single field in a single table. It has been formatted as I described by putting the field on the layout and formatting it with check boxes. It should open in table view and show the check boxes. you can change views and see that the formatting specified is visible in Form and List view as well.

• 6. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                    VictoriaHerring

I'll down load your file = thanks -- to answer your Q, the field DOES appear in Table view and in Layout body of the Form...

we are talking about one layout - see pics = the Form view where the checkboxes show up just fine and the Table view where even if I put the cursor in the field space no drop downs or check boxes show up

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 12.57.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-04 at 12.57.38 PM.png

• 7. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                      philmodjunk

I see the field label "theme" appearing twice. Is it possible, Check this in layout mode, that you have TWO copies of the Theme field located on the layout? If so, delete the copy that is not formatted with check boxes.

• 8. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                        BruceRobertson

And of course - a layout mode screenshot might also be helpful.

• 9. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                          beverly

you are clicking IN the field which is the same as clicking in the field in Form View and hitting "enter/return", this allows entry for data other than what is in the value list.

try this:

in Layout mode, select the field, open inspector

under the Data tab where you select the "Values from", I'm assuming you have the correct list selected

check the "Include arrow to show and hide list".

now back in Browse mode, click to the far right of the field (in Table View). Your drop down should appear.

The themes are not showing the arrow in Table View as in Form & List views, but it's there.

beverly

• 10. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                            VictoriaHerring

then theme name for the field is there but was an old leftover =  the one Theme with Checkboxes is the one which is in the Layout - I am including the images - Layout view - this is the info I am using = the table view then - I selected the fields to be in there or not and Theme is there but without checkboxes and the Data Inspector [FMP15] and how it's set up -thanks

Layout view.pngtable view.pngDAta inspector.png

• 11. Re: Editing a Field's contents in Table View
                              philmodjunk

I think the older copy of Theme is still on your layout and not formatted with check boxes.

I ran several tests--including moving the field off the edge of the layout as shown in your screen shot, and the only way that I could get the field to appear in table view without the formatting was if I had a previously created copy of the field formatted as an edit box. If I had that, any formatting applied to the second copy of the field did not affect what I saw in table view.