1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 12:50 PM by BeatriceBeaubien

"In Between" font sizes possible?

ninja

Howdy all,

There are a few ways to make fonts fit a given area, either with sizing scripts or hiding/showing.  This is no real issue.

But when 6pt font uses only 55% of the area, and 7pt font takes 106% of the area and gets cut off......is there any in-between?

Some other software types allow 6.5pt font, but it doesn't appear that FMP allows this.  What other ways have people found?

• 1. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
          David Moyer

Hi,

you might try playing with Format>Style>Compressed.

• 2. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
            ninja

Sorry...forgot to mention...FMP 13...

All the same, thanks!  Format>Style>Condense exists in 13, but is not available for conditional formatting.

Can still use it for the stacked fields hiding/showing technique though.

Having 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, etc would be better...

• 3. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
              David Moyer

as you know custom font size won't allow decimals.

You could try 6pt Bold?  Or maybe a different font.  I'm in 14 - do you see a "More Formatting" button on the Conditional page?

• 4. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                taylorsharpe

You're probably talking bout the width and suggestions above should help (especially choosing a skinnier or narrow font).  But if this is a multi-line issue in height, you can go to the inspector and change the Inspector in the Appearance tab you can change the Line Spacing to points to better control it.  It defaults to lines. 

• 5. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                  ninja

My bad...looked there and looked right by it.  "Condense" is indeed in conditional formatting in 13 too...my eyes on the other hand...

Still easier in my case to show/hide, but its good to know that the condense is there.

Still would be easier with 6.4pt font...

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                    ninja

It is a multiline thing...got so much space and variable amounts of text to cram in it.

I've got the condense and line spacing going to their limits of readability...just trying to not jump all the way down to 2pt font which wont print legibly.

3pt, condensed with 0.75 line spacing just fits...I hope the text doesn't get any longer....

• 7. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                      ninja

A "bump" to see if anyone has further suggestions...

I'm trying to have fonts be as big as possible, in a given space.

How much text goes there varies from 42 characters to almost 2200 characters.

Seems a shame to waste 40% of my area going from size 7 down to size 6...and line spacing and font condensing is a royal pain to adjust conditionally for every one of 3000 samples of text.

Any other great ideas from the crowd?

• 8. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                        taylorsharpe

I have a number of long fields that I conditionally format that if they are more than a certain length, then resize the text to smaller size, otherwise leave it big. 

e.g., Length ( fieldname ) > 40     then Change font to size 6. 

• 9. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                          ninja

That's exactly what I'm doing too...but for a label printer

At font size 5, the text runs off the label (thus not complete on the label) by being bigger than the available field space.

The same text on the same label at Font size 4 leaves 45% of the label as whitespace and looks like "the font should be bigger"...even though it can't be.

Thus looking for a creative way to achieve something resembling Font size 4.5...or 6.3...or whatever

Label Matrix, BarTender, and other similar label software sizes to the "in-between" font sizes...but has other drawbacks pushing me into FMP.  That and the fact that all of the label data is in FMP already...and is only referenced into those other programs by SQL query for printing.

• 10. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                            RubenVanDenBoogaard

How about printing on 90% or 110% does that help?

• 11. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                              ninja

Good idea, but then the whole label resizes, not just the text field.

(And print sizing is a bloody nightmare on a PC platform...known issue at least through FMP13 which I am running)

• 12. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                                taylorsharpe

If you don't mind getting a bit more complex, there are ways to export the data to Adobe InDesign and format things exactly as you want.  One of my clients is doing this quite successfully.  It involves a robot machine with Adobe InDesign watching a folder that FM feeds and they use it to generate some specific PDFs for web pages, but it would work for printing too.  If you're interested in know more about it, send me a private message and I'll get you in contact with them. 

• 13. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                                  ninja

Thanks for thinking outside the box.

That is (sort of) what we're doing now with BarTender label software.

I'm just looking to smooth the way to keep it all inside Filemaker for the added flexibility.

• 14. Re: "In Between" font sizes possible?
                                    taylorsharpe

Eric Twiname wrote:

Thanks for thinking outside the box.

That is (sort of) what we're doing now with BarTender label software.

I'm just looking to smooth the way to keep it all inside Filemaker for the added flexibility.

Understood Eric.  And keeping things in one Framework does simplify things a lot when possible.  And while FileMaker is a great tool, it is not always the best tool and mileage varies depending on the need.  I usually try to do things first in FileMaker, but sometimes find better and faster ways outside of FileMaker and have to not be afraid to integrate FileMaker with other tools for the most robust solutions.

But keep feedback like you have given going so that FM sees some of our challenges in meeting unique needs of the business community.

1 2 Previous Next